Push rod bending

wellsken

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs and Stratton 19.5 hp Intek engine with OHV, which the bottom pushrod was worn down. I purchased a replacement part, and installed it, adjusted the valves and when I turn the engine by hand, the push rod is compressing the valve spring completely, and slightly bending the rod in the process. Any ideas what will cause this? The steel rod is functioning normally, just the aluminum rod is pushing out too far.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the valve guide isn't making contact withe the spring retainer. When the Briggs head overheats it tends to migrate the valve guides up inside the valve springs until they hit a point where the valve cannot fully open because the spring keeper makes contact with the valve guide, bending the pushrod

Tinkerer200

Threads
Make sure the valve guide isn't making contact withe the spring retainer. When the Briggs head overheats it tends to migrate the valve guides up inside the valve springs until they hit a point where the valve cannot fully open because the spring keeper makes contact with the valve guide, bending the pushrod

I can send you a check and detailed instructions on fixing it IF you like and include a Service Manual.
Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

wellsken

Forum Newbie
Threads

ILENGINE, how far should the valve guide be out? Mine is about 3/8 of an inch.

wellsken

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can send you a check and detailed instructions on fixing it IF you like and include a Service Manual.
Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Walt,
If you would send me the service manual, and instructions for correcting the valve guide, for the 31P677 E1 engine, I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is welkenne@cassiaschools.org.
Thanks so much!!!

KC Wells

Tinkerer200

Threads
Walt,
If you would send me the service manual, and instructions for correcting the valve guide, for the 31P677 E1 engine, I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is welkenne@cassiaschools.org.
Thanks so much!!!

KC Wells

Info sent on another computer, let me know if you don't get it. For others who may be reading, correct valve guide height for this engine is 1/8" above the casting.

Walt Conner