Riding mower will not change direction unless I hit the brake

JohnGapk

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Riding mower will not change direction unless I hit the brake
I have a crafstman riding mower with a hydrostatic transmission. It was working fine without any issues. This issue started suddenly. I can’t seem to change direction by using the shifter. If I am going forward, and come to neutral it stops. When I pull the shifter into reverse it starts moving forward instead of backward. If I hit the brake, then it switches direction and starts moving backward. The same happens when I try to switch directions from backward to go forward.

Even though I am able to move the shifter all the way from forward full speed to backward full speed, it feels very forced (as if the shifter is stuck on the inside and the lever is moving under force).

Also, even with the freewheel lever pulled all the way out, I cannot push the mower freely. My mower has always been like this. Should I be able to easily push the mower when the freewheel lever is pulled all the way out?

I already did the transmission purge. Any ideas on what might be wrong? How can I fix the two issues?

Thanks,

JohnGapk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a crafstman riding mower with a hydrostatic transmission. It was working fine without any issues. This issue started suddenly. I can’t seem to change direction by using the shifter. If I am going forward, and come to neutral it stops. When I pull the shifter into reverse it starts moving forward instead of backward. If I hit the brake, then it switches direction and starts moving backward. The same happens when I try to switch directions from backward to go forward.

Even though I am able to move the shifter all the way from forward full speed to backward full speed, it feels very forced (as if the shifter is stuck on the inside and the lever is moving under force).

Also, even with the freewheel lever pulled all the way out, I cannot push the mower freely. My mower has always been like this. Should I be able to easily push the mower when the freewheel lever is pulled all the way out?

I already did the transmission purge. Any ideas on what might be wrong? How can I fix the two issues?

The exact model number is 917.20383.
It says: 19.0 HP,* 46” Mower
Electric Start
Automatic Transaxle

Thanks,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
See other post in Craftsman section

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the linkage is binding someplace preventing the direction lever to work properly. You will need to get underneath and take a good look around. May need to remove the deck and possibly have somebody work the pedals while you looks. Also with the freewheel lever pulled out you should be able to move the mower somewhat freely. Sometimes the release lever will rust or get crud around it and preventing it from moving when the freewheel lever is pulled.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tranny is held in by 2 bolts at each wheel and there is some sort of stabilizing bracket at the front.
Very common for the brackets to break or the bolts to fall out or break.
This allows the tranny to tilt which can cause similar results to what you describe .
However it is more common for that problem to throw the belt first.