Tecumseh hs50 no spark

Mo farmboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, I have an old mini bike I’m redoing for the grandkids. Got it started before I started restoring it and it ran fine. When I put the engine back on I had lost the spark. Since then I replaced the coil,condenser, and points one at a time. The new points got it to spark so I started getting ready to start it. Had it popping a few times and then nothing. I’m back to no fire and I’ve been thru it all a dozen times. Got fire back once for a few cranks and then again nothing. No cutoff switch everything looks perfect. Any ideas y’all might have would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check flywheel key and position of keyways.

Mo farmboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the help guys. I’m having trouble finding the specs to check the coil and yes I’ve had the flywheel off many times. I don’t have a dial indicator but it had real good fire when I first put the points in. This is the first Tecumseh I’ve ever messed with, maybe be the last too. Don’t care for the internal mag setup. I assumed set the points and the key did the timing. I’ll keep reading in the manual but I’m leaning toward the new coil isn’t right.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without going through the timing process you will still get spark, but not at the right time.

jp1961

Threads
Just thinking out loud here, but can he convert the ignition system to the solid state ignition system?

I have an old Suzuki 2 cycle on a Toro and someone put an after market electronic ignition module on it and it sparks fine.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ll have to go through the procedure in the manual. It is different than the old Briggs and Kohler. The old Tecumseh does not have any solid state adaptions.

Mo farmboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wondered if I might upgrade the ignition. Looks like that would be no go. When I get more time I’m going to really look the manual over and try to find the specs on the coil. Even it being new I’m guessing it’s my problem.