Oversizing Snow Blower Engines?

l008com

Threads
I'm 39 years old, I've been snow blowing for a very long time. I've used snow blowers of all sizes. The one thing they all have in common seems to be that they are underpowered for their size. Of course any blower can handle 2 inches of snow. But when you've got the deep stuff, most blowers can't handle driving through it in their slowest drive speed without stopping every few seconds. They really bog down.

My current blower is only a few years old and still runs great. But at some point in the future, the body of my blower may be doing well but the engine may die. What do you think of putting a larger-than-oem engine on a 2-stage blower? Mine currently has a 208cc which looks like about 6.5hp/9.5ft-lb. A 270cc motor puts out 8.5hp/14ft-lb of torque. I feel like that would make a big difference when it comes to cutting through 12" inches of snow.

So I'm not planning on doing this as an upgrade, I would only do this if I needed a new engine. And given how new mine is, by the time it fails, everything will probably be electric anyway. But I like the idea of doing this, are there any downsides? The only thing I can think of is I guess in theory I could burn out my belts quicker. But I kind of doubt there's that little margin in the belt system that a little extra power will kill it.

Bob E

Threads
You might burn more fuel while chewing through more snow. :thumbsup:

l008com

Threads
You might burn more fuel while chewing through more snow. :thumbsup:

More fuel per hour, but fewer hours snow blowing. Hopefully it would all work out.

2smoked

Threads
All this talk about snowblowers in the month of May is a crime to me. Then I saw this graphic for tonight’s forecast in northwest WI. Give me grass cutting over snowblowing.

Attachments

• 6FEE1E8C-73A9-4641-B6C8-7B2D359DDB6A.jpg
    6FEE1E8C-73A9-4641-B6C8-7B2D359DDB6A.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 9

Bob E

Threads
I just saw the snow in the forecast too :confused2:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think there's a guy who used to work for Binford tools that did this to his blower. More power.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doesn't Ariens already do this with their SHO line?

Blaine B.

Threads
I don't see any use in any of these V8 or 4BT diesel builds on walk-behind snow blowers. If you are going to invest with that amount of money and extra weight, why not get some sort of drive-able snow blower with a cab at that point?

Putting a V8 engine on a two-stage walk behind is really limiting it's maneuverability and practicality for the average home owner!

Before you even consider a bolt-on engine swap to something with a bit more horsepower, maybe you need to look in to tuning the engine you have already to get more power out of it. PErhaps figure out a way to run it at a higher RPM and have it run a little more rich with the fuel mixture? You know they are all tuned pretty weak from the factory to comply with the EPA's weaselly emissions standards.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Reminds me of the V8 chain saw video, and those V8 powered motorcycles. I could go for one of those, even though it's absurd.