Will This Oil Work in My Lawn Edger?

Stems117

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum so my bad if the answer is already posted, I couldn't seem to find it.

I have a 4 cycle craftsman lawn edger model 316.773800

In the owners manual it states, "Use a high-quality SAE 30 weight oil of API service class SF, SG, SH."

Everywhere I look I can only seem to find API SJ oil. Will API SJ be safe to use in this lawn edger? If not, where might I find SF, SG, or SH?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The S grading system is for automobiles and has nothing to do with small engines. It means the the oil has been tested by the American Petroleum Institute and approved that oil for certain vehicles depending on the year of manufacture. In you case the second letter is what you look at. That go it ascending order ABC etc. in your unit you may use any oil SF and above. Hope this makes sense.

Russ2251

Threads
API SJ rating supersedes the other ratings and is therefore "better" than the other grades mentioned.

Stems117

Forum Newbie
Threads
The S grading system is for automobiles and has nothing to do with small engines. It means the the oil has been tested by the American Petroleum Institute and approved that oil for certain vehicles depending on the year of manufacture. In you case the second letter is what you look at. That go it ascending order ABC etc. in your unit you may use any oil SF and above. Hope this makes sense.

I am curious why it is listed on a bottle for "lawnmower oil" and mentioned specifically in the manual if it's ultimately irrelevant.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am curious why it is listed on a bottle for "lawnmower oil" and mentioned specifically in the manual if it's ultimately irrelevant.

Because people point blank refuse to buy lawn mower oil & insist on using car oil despite car oils being totally unsuited for air cooled mower engines.

I find this side splittingly funny when a customer refuses to buy mower oil for $ 16 / qt and then asks about fully synthetic at $25 / qt

primerbulb120

Threads
Why are car oils completely unsuitable for mower engines?

I use Kinetix 10W-30 small engine oil in the majority of my equipment. It's not synthetic and has a zinc additive. Is this a good choice?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here we go again...

Stems117

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here we go again...
Hahaha, in my research before posting in this forum I was gathering mixed feelings on this. It sounds like this has been debated before but ultimately I am safe to use API SJ on my edger despite it saying SF, SG, SH. Apparently it's not even relevant to small engines. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All oil starts the same.
It gets broken down into parts, filtered cleaned then reassembled.
Air cooled engine oils are specifically formulated for air cooled engines that have higher range of running temperatures.
They also have a lot of moisture dispersants & anti corrosion addatives because mowers & most air cooled engines sit around for months not being used.

Automotive oils are designed to work best in an engine which runs between 80 & 120 deg C and is fairly constant temperature all over due to the water cooling.
Water dispersion is not a big problem as the engines usually get used daily or at least weekly all year round.

Putting the 3rd best choice into your engine will not make it blow up.
At worst it will allow excessive corrosion during the off season & may knock a few hours off the engine life.
At best it is just costing you more .

The most important thing is how often you change it followed by when you change it.
Mower engines are low speed engines so suffer higher loads than auto engines many of which now days idle near the actual running speed of mower engines.
When something like a cam follower rubs on a cam, it relies upon the oil to maintain a film between the 2 of them.
The faster this happens the easier it is for the oil to remain there.
The slower it happens the greater the chance of the follower running dry by the time it is on the lowering ramp of the cam.

There are a squillion little things like this and that goes a long way to understanding the difference between an engine that does 5,000 trouble free hours and one that is worn out in 500 hours.

Now I only studied oils in one unit that was 2 hours a week for 13 weeks and in that time we covered oils, greases, cutting fluids & coolants so an expert I am definately not.
However that has given me enough knowledge to understand the difference between oils and to realize that 120% of all the advertising is pure bull.
Now 99.99% of the people who rabbit on about oils have never had 1 minute of formal education about lubricants and in most cases do not actually know the meanings of terms like "Detergent" and the difference between a detergent & a dispersant. Even fewer can understand oil test data, let alone what they mean to their engines.

You car run your edger on light machine oil SAE 0 to 10 if you really want to.
All that will happen is you will burn almost all of it every time you use the trimmer and you will be paying $ 50 /qt for it.

So no matter what the engine is, the best oil will always be the oil that was specifically blended to do that job.
Lots of other blends will also work, and some will be better than others.

OTOH finding a single oil that is OK for everything you own and using it on everything again will be fine just so long as it is changed at the recommended interval if not earlier.
The big problem comes when someone puts a fully synthetic 50,000 mile change interval oil into a mower and decide it never needs to be changed.