Scag turf tiger STT61V-27KA won't start without a charger attached

Ron Jepsen

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag turf tiger STT61V-27KA won't start without a charger attached
Hello all
Got a problem with my Scag Turf Tiger. It will not turn over/start unless I have a battery charger
connected. I have replaced the Battery with a new one (CCA 350) and it is fully charged. I've cleaned
all of the connections. It will not turn over unless I connect a battery Charger/starter then it will start
and run fine. With the charger connected I will turn the key to Start position and after 2 to 3 seconds it
will crank and start fine. I'm thinking dirty contacts on the relay (the small one in the console)? I'm still checking other stuff.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please do this check and post back what you find. You will need an assistant and a volt meter. Brake pedal locked, volt meter on the battery, read voltage, then have your assistant turn the key to the start position, read voltage again. Do this with the new battery only, no jumper. Did you remove, clean the connection where the negative cable attaches to the frame or engine? When you post back, be sure to include all engine numbers. When I’ve seen this in the past, the two most common causes are bad ground cable connection or bad starter. Want to eliminate those two before going father into it. Personally I doubt that the relay would those symptoms, but there are some on this forum who say I don’t know what I’m doing. Let’s start with the easy things first.

Ron Jepsen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for responding.
I did clean the ground wires to the engine. I disconnected the small relay from its plug
At the plug end, if I jump the N.O. relay contacts (grn/wht stripe & red/yel stripe) the starter will engage. The coil of that relay is connected to 12vdc and a wire to the control module. The module
should be providing a path to ground. I have ordered a new control module and relay, should arrive today or tomorrow. I will keep you informed of the results.
Thanks for your help.

Ron Jepsen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for responding.
I did clean the ground wires to the engine. I disconnected the small relay from its plug
At the plug end, if I jump the N.O. relay contacts (grn/wht stripe & red/yel stripe) the starter will engage. The coil of that relay is connected to 12vdc and a wire to the control module. The module
should be providing a path to ground. I have ordered a new control module and relay, should arrive today or tomorrow. I will keep you informed of the results.
Thanks for your help.

Just got the relay and module. I changed out the relay ($25) and that solved the problem! Now I have a control module ($125) I don't need. I suppose I could send it back or keep it as a spare for the future.

Thanks for your help. It very easily could have been a bad ground connection.