15 amp main breaker popping after start

roenigk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

I have a two-year-old 60-inch Raptor that ran perfectly Friday. On Monday it pops a fuse immediately after starting. The starter engages, the engine starts, and then just one second later the fuses blows.

All the obvious cables are clean and tight. How does one begin to troubleshoot this type of electrical problem?

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I willing to bet that you have a wire worn through causing a direct short to ground. These can be either easy or very hard to troubleshoot. I would start by carefully and thoroughly checked every visible wire looking for a rub through. Give us the model number and we will see if we can find a wiring diagram for you, which will give us a better picture of your unit and we can give you better directions on where and what the cause might be. Two questions, does the fuse blow when the key goes to the run position? Do you have a test light or VOM and do you understand how an electrical circuit works?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.hustlerturf.com/support/manuals

please post your model number, Hustler Raptor 60" SD, etc. which model? 933028? which engine B&S, Kohler, Kawasaki? thanks

https://www.hustlerturf.com/file/3dcfbaadb191b15fd721d378aba9686a059de623.pdf

page 7.2 schematic, using eyes & hands on all switches including seat & ignition switch & relays,ground wires & cables try moving all connections by hand & looking for wires chafing, burn marks, melted plastic, backside of fuse panel, pto connection, using hands on what is getting HOT, everywhere, an extra set of eyes might help. let us know what you find, thanks.

Last edited:

roenigk

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a 60-in Raptor SD with a Kohler 26-HP V-Twin Model #: 934778

The key turned on the run position has no issue. Nor does the cranking of the starter. The main fuse pops only after the engine starts. It is only one second or so of run time before that happens.

I do have a voltmeter, with a rudimentary knowledge of electrical systems.

The cables and wiring are in really good shape. They look almost new, actually. A photo of the battery area is attached.

Attachments

• kohler.jpg
    kohler.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 13

LeakyGasket

Threads
Sounds like the rocking of the engine is allowing the short (wire touching metal when vibrating, as previously alluded).

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As stated vibration causing a frayed wire shorting to ground wound be the number 1 cause. Second one the list would be a bad ignition switch. You stated that it occurs after the engine is running, which means the key is now in the run position. To me that means that the short is somewhere in the run circuit. This is the most complicated circuit of your unit and finding a short will mean getting a wiring diagram for your unit with a Kohler engine. Then you will have to back trace each component in the run circuit. I can only find a diagram for a unit with a Kawasaki engine, so you may have to go to your dealer for the other one. This is not a hard thing to troubleshoot, depending on you skill, but can definitely be time consuming. I have spent a couple of days doing this type of task, as at times you must remove components to check them and then reinstall them when they are good. Patience is the best friend of any electrical troubleshooter, and NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING, PLUS TRIPLE CHECK EVERY TEST YOU DO.