JD 1565 Series II diesel mower stalling issue

Corry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for help with my John Deere 1565 Series II mower. For the past few years I've had issues with it randomly dying on me. I've replaced the spin-on fuel filter, cleaned out the fuel tank, removed the solenoid from the side of the injector pump(seems to be functioning fine and still stalled sometimes when removed), and cleaned the connectors going to the solenoid as well as the aux electric fuel pump. The mower can sit for a week or a month and will start up then either die after running for 5 seconds or it might run fine for 45 minutes before stalling. Doesn't matter if the blades are in use or not or if the mower is in motion or idling. Keeping RPM's doesn't make any difference either. Sometimes it will drop in RPM while idling like its about to die then pick itself back up but usually it will stall. Both air filters were replaced maybe 10 running hours ago and look clean but I did notice when checking the vacuum gauge after the air filters that it sometimes maxes out after the stalling issue about half the time. The engine has no trouble cranking but sometimes it has to crank longer than it should to fire up. I'm guessing this all points to the aux fuel pump, main fuel pump, separator, injector pump, or dirty injectors? Any ideas or advice on how to troubleshoot? Trying to avoid shotgunning the issue with random new parts. Thank you for taking the time to read.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nothing in the fuel system would cause the vacuum gage (Filterminder) to max out. Something has to be restricting the flow of air to the engine to cause that.

I suggest completely disassembling the air filter canister, inspecting it and the air filter element for obstructions, dirt, etc.

Did it have this problem BEFORE the air filter element was replaced?

Corry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Nothing in the fuel system would cause the vacuum gage (Filterminder) to max out. Something has to be restricting the flow of air to the engine to cause that.

I suggest completely disassembling the air filter canister, inspecting it and the air filter element for obstructions, dirt, etc.

Did it have this problem BEFORE the air filter element was replaced?

Right, that’s what threw me off. Maybe it’s unrelated as sometimes this gauge doesn’t show much vacuum even when it acts up.

I will pull it all apart and check for obstructions. The main air filter looks fairly clean and the one inside it isn’t caked but is slightly darkened. It had this problem previous to the air filter being replaced, yes. The fuel tank cleaning, fuel filter, air filter were all done at once but the issue has randomly come up since then. I suppose I could idle it without the filters and see if it stalls that way.