JD Lt 155 trans issue (maybe)??

SJP

Threads
I have a 2001 JD LT 155 that I think I having issues with the trans. Here recently it's having problems going up a slight hill. The drive belt is in good shape and tight, all the pulleys are good, I cleaned off all the dirt on the trans and still having this issue. The only way I can really describe it, it's almost like a surging feel, kind of like the drive belt is not tight enough or something. I'm assuming it must be something internally. My dad bought it brand new back in 01 (been a good little lawn mower) and to my knowledge the trans has never been serviced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can get under there and post some info on the trans it would be a big help, name, numbers, maybe a picture or two. If it's what I suspect, the trans might be done for.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tuff-Torq K51a transmission

SJP

Threads
I guess I should have mentioned (if it matters) that the lawn mower moves just fine forward and reverse on flat ground, no issues at all until I start mowing the ditch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tranny is gone.
Right now a service can repair the tranny
The longer you leave it the worse it will get.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The repair is an easy job mechanically.
It is a difficult job because it requires surgery theatre cleaness .
I blow down the tranny, soda blast then pressure wash before I start to pull them apart .
OTOH Mulligans can usually doi a replacement that makes the repair uneconomic.
Right now there is a machine shop that rebuilds them for less than the wholesale price of the replacement parts, if the box is caught before the damage to the valve plate / piston chest faces is too bad to be machined flat again.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspected a Tuff Torq hydro. Probably time for a new mower, or use that one on level ground only. One thing that works for a while is to mow the banks first while the trans is cool, as it heats up the hydraulic unit loses power - usually.

SJP

Threads
I suspected a Tuff Torq hydro. Probably time for a new mower, or use that one on level ground only. One thing that works for a while is to mow the banks first while the trans is cool, as it heats up the hydraulic unit loses power - usually.

Yeah I think you're right about getting a new mower because 99% of the time I mow the ditch first while the trans is cool and it don't like that ditch no more. Funny thing is I did some looking around the other night and was really just curious at what a brand new trans would cost and I just about feel out of my chair at the price of a new one. So now I guess it's off to figure out what lawn mower I'm going to buy because I really don't want to put that type of money in that old a lawn mower, although it does run perfect.