Engine oil change on Apex/Kohler

boude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just today I took ownership of a brand new Ariens Apex 52” w/ Kohler 7000:) My early assessment is that it runs, handles and mows as well as I hoped... but... after a quick check it occurred to me that a do-it-yourself engine oil change could be unnecessarily convoluted and messy.

The user manual ignores the issue and the Kohler 7000 manual is too generic to help. I can’t believe there aren’t a multitude of YouTube vids on changing the engine oil with the Apex or the Gravely ZT HD with the 7000 or even some web how-to instructions, but I can’t find any.

After some head scratching, it looks to me that the best way to accomplish this is to pull the ‘passenger side’ rear wheel for filter accessibility and disconnect the end of the drain hose so it can dangle over the side of the frame. Is this a reasonable appraisal of the situation?

Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

Bruce

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
How different is the ZT HD from the ZT X?

There's a YT video for the ZT X oil change. It does look like a bit of a pain but not horrendous. https://youtu.be/ZAf3pMRjNy8

boude

Forum Newbie
Threads
How different is the ZT HD from the ZT X?

There's a YT video for the ZT X oil change. It does look like a bit of a pain but not horrendous. https://youtu.be/ZAf3pMRjNy8

Thanks for the reply.

Very similar 7000 series engine although my Kohler has a drain hose that takes a right angle and runs rearward on the frame for a foot or so (almost) to an opening in that frame. That 'almost' will make a big mess unless I unattach the at-the-end fastener and snake that tubing somewhere else.

But it is a markedly different zero turn frame, I'm not sure I could get the filter on and off without pulling the fat 23"wheel/tire on that side. I'd like to have confirmation of that. It then looks like access is a piece of cake as there is a large opening that presents itself. If that is the only way...that seems like some engineer really dropped the ball.

Bruce

handtools

Threads
I have the same mower with the 60" deck and have changed the oil a couple of times already as I have over 100 hours on it. The drain hose on mine just slips out of the keeper and I hang it over the side of the frame and let it drain. The filter comes off without removing the rear tire and the residual oil drains out the hole in the frame under it. I jack up the left front of the mower a little to assist the draining process and to make sure the residual oil from the filter doesn't run back towards the motor. Hope this helps and happy mowing!

boude

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower with the 60" deck and have changed the oil a couple of times already as I have over 100 hours on it. The drain hose on mine just slips out of the keeper and I hang it over the side of the frame and let it drain. The filter comes off without removing the rear tire and the residual oil drains out the hole in the frame under it. I jack up the left front of the mower a little to assist the draining process and to make sure the residual oil from the filter doesn't run back towards the motor. Hope this helps and happy mowing!

Great news, thanks.

Since my post, I've thought more on this and it looks like I can get at the filter from the rear and snake it out between the tire and frame. Not ideal but doable and it looks like what you are describing. I was worried about permanently bending that keeper when I relocated that drain hose but that keeper must be designed to do this given its ' C_ '-like shape. This is a grimy job and will give me an ample opportunity to make a mess:) Tightening the filter properly is more problematic as I think it would have to be done pretty much blind. I really didn't want to remove the wheel.

I've got a while to sweat this out before I do the first oil change. Thanks again

Bruce

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Filters don't really get tightened...not even fully hand tight.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that is your 1st oil change, your Owners Manual should state to do this at the first 8 hours of use, to get the "break-in" oil out.

boude

Forum Newbie
Threads
If that is your 1st oil change, your Owners Manual should state to do this at the first 8 hours of use, to get the "break-in" oil out.

The mower manual has no engine oil change schedule and the Kohler 7000 manual states every 100 hours. There is no mention of a break-in period.

Regardless, I will be changing the oil much more frequently.

Bruce

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good Luck with that. My neighbor has a Kohler 7000 engine in his Z, & I read his Kohler manual, since i service it for him, & I changed his oil at under 8 hours.

That is not broken-in, just getting that oil out & getting good oil w/additive package in.