Bush Hog ZT22 won't start, need to move

edporch

Threads
I have a Bush Hog ZT22 that won't start.
Mice got into the Kohler 22hp engine and I need to move it to fix it.

Is there a way to release the hydraulic drive so it can be more easily rolled into a trailer?
The manual mentions NOTHING about how to do this that I can find.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't know your hydro system whether it's individual pumps and wheel motors or integrated transaxles, but if pump wheel motor usually a large bolt (not nut as I originally said - corrected) on back side of pump to loosen. For integrated transaxles a lever to pull and lock out on the rear of each.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It should be in the manual on how to release the hydro drives. What you are looking for may look like a 5/8 or so sized hex shaped bolt that sticks up about 1/2 an inch and has a holed drilled through it so you can put a pin through the hole and turn the bolt. That may be what the release looks like. Something else it could look like a pin sticking out about 1/4 inch with a wire spring with a hook at the end that you move over to hold the pin in. It would be located on the side or top of the pump drives

edporch

Threads
Don't know your hydro system whether it's individual pumps and wheel motors or integrated transaxles, but if pump wheel motor usually a large nut on back side of pump to loosen. For integrated transaxles a lever to pull and lock out on the rear of each.

This one has a pump and motor for each wheel.
Thanks, I'll look for what you say. :)

edporch

Threads
It should be in the manual on how to release the hydro drives. What you are looking for may look like a 5/8 or so sized hex shaped bolt that sticks up about 1/2 an inch and has a holed drilled through it so you can put a pin through the hole and turn the bolt. That may be what the release looks like. Something else it could look like a pin sticking out about 1/4 inch with a wire spring with a hook at the end that you move over to hold the pin in. It would be located on the side or top of the pump drives

I thought the manual would have this info, but I find no mention of it.
That's why I posted here.
I also have a Grasshopper and it says how in it's manual.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah it's a bolt, usually with a hole in it as ILENGINE said, not a nut. Usually you can just side a Phillips head screw driver through to loosen. And when you tighten it back up don't go crazy on it...just snug a little bit over hand tight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
there should be a sticker on the pump with the makers name & model number on it.
Armed with that information go to the makers web site and check the parts list for a
"bypass valve" or "freewheel valve"

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought the manual would have this info, but I find no mention of it.
That's why I posted here.
I also have a Grasshopper and it says how in it's manual.

The same instructions for your grasshopper may apply to your bushhog because the are most likely running similar pumps if not the same pump