Rear axle leaking trans oil

Kyle53

Forum Newbie
Threads
13AX935T001 - Yard-Man Lawn Tractor (2014) is my mower and I'll be darned if I can find what stops the oil from leaking out. I don't want to take it apart till I have what I need to fix it.
I looked on this site ( https://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd...t001-yard-man-lawn-tractor-2014/transmission/ ) but where is the seal to buy?
Is there a seal? Thanks for any help!!
Ok I am 60 years old, grew up on a farm fixed many things in my day. I just don't want to take the mower apart before I have what I need to fix it. I have a push mower but don't want to push mow a acre of grass. ha

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those units have no "oil", just a splooge of semi-solid grease from the factory, and no real seals. Just run it till it no longer runs.

Kyle53

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those units have no "oil", just a splooge of semi-solid grease from the factory, and no real seals. Just run it till it no longer runs.

Well this is what I have done. It wouldn't run no more. Seen the oil leak and found a cap on the top. Added 30 w oil and ran good again. But is still leaking. I will try the seal thing if there is one. If not do I need a whole new trany? Kind of pricey. It did leak last year after I added oil but this year worse. Didn't last long. ( as is the mower didn't last long for spending 1400 bucks at menards for it) Maybe I need to add grease? Like 90 w or something?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that a hydrostatic transaxle in the mower? A K46 Tuff Torq? The same oil goes through the hydraulic system and also lubricates the differential gears. Usual fill for these is a multigrade synthetic oil, something with a pretty high top number, say 15w50 or so. Transmission is not real hard to get apart, big o-ring seal if I remember right. Watch real close as some parts will fall out when you split the case. Be good to clean it out and get all the metal crap off the magnets in there too. Good bit of info here:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/164892-tufftorq-k46-repair-guide-pictures.html

Kyle53

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is that a hydrostatic transaxle in the mower? A K46 Tuff Torq? The same oil goes through the hydraulic system and also lubricates the differential gears. Usual fill for these is a multigrade synthetic oil, something with a pretty high top number, say 15w50 or so. Transmission is not real hard to get apart, big o-ring seal if I remember right. Watch real close as some parts will fall out when you split the case. Be good to clean it out and get all the metal crap off the magnets in there too. Good bit of info here:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/164892-tufftorq-k46-repair-guide-pictures.html

Thanks will check it out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your transmission has a service advisory concerning leaking axle seals. part number 753-08294A is the seal repair kit for your transmission. It comes with both axle seals, a new sealing cover on top where you add the oil, and new bolts that hold the wheels on the axle.

I also noticed a goof in the parts diagram. It shows the hydrostat tranny under the drive section, a separate section just for the parts diagram of the tuff torq tranny, but at the bottom of the list shows a section for transmission which looks like shouldn't be there since it is the normal gear drive single forward/reverse MTD transmission which isn't used on this mower.

Kyle53

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your transmission has a service advisory concerning leaking axle seals. part number 753-08294A is the seal repair kit for your transmission. It comes with both axle seals, a new sealing cover on top where you add the oil, and new bolts that hold the wheels on the axle.

I also noticed a goof in the parts diagram. It shows the hydrostat tranny under the drive section, a separate section just for the parts diagram of the tuff torq tranny, but at the bottom of the list shows a section for transmission which looks like shouldn't be there since it is the normal gear drive single forward/reverse MTD transmission which isn't used on this mower.

WOW ok thank you!!!! I looked for a while and hate to ask but where can I find that part number you listed. I went to MTD site and wasnt found. Sorry for having to ask.