Location of rectifier-regulator on Kohler KT730?

Adsila Sinewa

Threads
I am in the process of replacing the rectifier-regulator on my Kohler KT730-3012, but I cannot locate it. The service manual states that the “Rectifier-regulator is mounted on backing shroud assembly.” However, I am not able to find it. Is it actually under the shroud? Although there are numerous images on Google for the rectifier-regulator on other Kohler engines in plain sight, not so for the KT730. Can anyone help me locate it. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
if you look under the left rear corner of the blower housing above and slightly toward the rear of the oil filter on the flat metal plate it will be mounted there held in with 2 8mm headed bolts.

If you look at the following diagram item 4 which is the plate backing on the right hand side of that item in the picture there is what appears to be a rectangular cutout. The regulator is mounted in the hole and is accessed from outside of the engine so you don't have to remove the blower housing or anything else.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/koh...-23hp-17-2kw/blower-housing-group-6-32-22-kt/

Adsila Sinewa

Threads
ILENGINE,

Thank you for your prompt response. Perhaps I should have been more explicit on my model which is a KT730-3012. I WAS able to locate the rectifier by following your instructions, BUT it can ONLY be removed and replaced by removing the blower housing. See the attached picture. Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem. I suspect that the stator may be bad. I've had problems with this engine ever since I purchased it new. It starts and runs fine, but I'm certain that it is running on the battery only. Again, thanks for your help.

Attachments

• rectifier-regulator.JPG
    rectifier-regulator.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 26

Adsila Sinewa

Threads
ILENGINE,

I just located another Kohler engine pictured with the rectifier-regulator OUTSIDE of the blower housing which shows a ground wire. I don't remember seeing any such wire when I changed out my rectifier-regulator. Could NOT having a ground wire cause the regulator NOT to charge the battery?

Attachments

• no ground?.png
    no ground?.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The regulator in the right side picture has a ground wire because the regulator is mounted to a plastic cover. Your regulator is grounded through the metal plate it is attached to. You have three wires going to the regulator. The center one is the battery wire make sure it has 12v DC to it. may have to turn on the key to make it work. the outside two wires are for the stator with the engine running with a meter attached between those two wires should read a minimum of 28 volts AC.

Also wouldn't hurt to remove the regulator and make sure there isn't any corrosion between the regulator and the metal plate is is attached to.

Adsila Sinewa

Threads
Ilengine, thank you for addressing the factor of the ground wire. I now better understand how to test for A/C and D/C. I'll run further checks this coming Saturday.