White Outdoor LT 1650 Electrical Issues

cstandi1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I posted several months ago about a strange solenoid issue on my White LT 1650. The problems have gotten stranger and I'm hoping some of you might be able to help.

I got the mower to start last fall before putting it away for the season and unhooked the new battery so I wouldn't get any drain. This is spring I tried to start it with no luck, I would only get a click from the solenoid but nothing else and then even that suddenly stopped. After examining the mower I noticed that the diode in the alternator wiring harness was burned out. I ordered a new alternator and installed it. I also replaced the spark plugs at this time since they seemed shot. I charged the battery for good measure then attempted to start the mower, again. I got some faint attempts for it to turn over and the starter gear was engaging the fly wheel then it suddenly stopped doing anything again. A quick inspection showed that the brand new diode had burned up again.

I have two main questions.

What could be causing the diode to burn up suddenly like this? I obviously have some electrical issues and while I can do basic wiring I don't know enough to diagnose problems.

Does anyone know what the correct diode for this engine is? I can replace the diode much cheaper than another $113 alternator. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton model number 42A707, type 2238E1.