Governor issues on my Craftsman

Mrbill1

Threads
I'm having an issue of over revving on my Briggs and Stratton 20 HP Intek engine Model # 47777 0121 E1. I've tried resetting my governor adjustment with no change. I find no binding in my linkage. I have tried disconnecting my throttle cable and both springs allowing only the governor to control the throttle with no change. It appears to me the governor is not working. Is my assumption correct? If my thinking is correct the throttle is wide open at time of starting and after the engine starts the governor then controls the speed. Allowing the governor alone to control the throttle should keep the engine at minimum speed after cranking, shouldn't it? Any help would be much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First check the governor lever is tight on the governor shaft
At rest you should be able to move the governor arm to close down the throttle butterfly on the carb.
If not then the governor is set wrong.

If governor is set right start the engine.
Put your finger on the governor arm and push it to open the throttle butterfly .
You should feel strong resistance to moving the governor lever.
If not then the governor is broken internally or if the sump has come off reciently then it was assembled wrong.
Governors do fall apart and should be fixed ASAP because the broken bits bouncing around in the sump can cause big damage.