Frustrated With Honda HRX 217 Versamower

mulcher3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had this mower for 3 years and have been annoyed with the cut quality. Now I shouldpoint out all I do is mulch. Mechanically this mower has been solid, but seems to want to clump easily, I mow in the 2 to 2 1/2" range, I have plenty of power but like I said it clumps easily, I have to mow really frequently to keep my lawns nice. I mow for others as well. I was mowing 6hr a week. Ive tried replacing the blades, I also sharpen and balance them myself. I guess I am spoiled, I had a snapper ninja which was simply awesome, great power and a awesome cut. You had to run with this mower to keep up. Another thing about the honda is I had to clean the deck everytime, after mowing, to avoid clumps. Any thoughts or ideas? Yes I wish I had bought another Snapper. I do all my own service work, valve adjustments etc.

FYI I did a side by side mow off and my 12 year old snapper left as nice of a cut as my honda.

PS any companies want honest reviews on your products send them to me, I'll write honest reports, and your products back after done with testing. I used to repair mowers and motorcycles for a living. Ask me about my fantastic luck with my 12 year old featherlite weedeater, simply awesome.:confused2::thumbsup:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unfortunately prices keep going up on mowers while quality is sometimes let go or lowered. I cannot help but think some manufacturers are lowering standards so consumers will purchase today & two or three years later have to make a new purchase. From the website listed below there are only two mowers that i would consider purchasing, HRX217HYA & HRC216HXA from Honda. I purchased a HR215SXA new in 1990 that is currently apart for first time for rebuild, had low compression, needs new rod & rings etc. Our youngest son is doing rebuild as time permits, i supervise now. The engine is a GXV140 & i paid $800 in 1990, it is a Masters Series.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers

cruzenmike

Threads
The Honda HRX has been regarded as one of the nicest cutting mowers on the market. While your experience has been short of your expectations, it is the situation that you must deal with. The positive is that the HRX should have retained a lot of it's value so you can sell and get some money back. I remember a neighbor of mine 20 years ago with a snapper high vac that cut beautifully. He was bagging, but to your point it was a quality machine that did well at what it was designed to do. I desired a Snapper mower but where I live I just don't have anywhere that I can go look at one. You might want to consider a Toro Super Recycler as an alternative option.

gotomow

Threads
If I'm cutting my front lawn, (it's thick) and it's a little long I will have to set the clip director on my HRX half way and bag some of the clippings. Otherwise I will get some clumping. Of course now that I have my JD X350 the Honda has become a trimmer.
For the years I've had the Honda it's been a pretty nice machine. Cuts good, always starts on the first half pull, (unless it's fall and colder), chops up the leaves super fine and has a nice large bagger. On the flip side the Honda is hard to pull back on, the speed control is either on or off because there's not much in between, and yes you've got to keep that deck extra clean.

LMAN007

Threads
If I'm cutting my front lawn, (it's thick) and it's a little long I will have to set the clip director on my HRX half way and bag some of the clippings. Otherwise I will get some clumping. Of course now that I have my JD X350 the Honda has become a trimmer.
For the years I've had the Honda it's been a pretty nice machine. Cuts good, always starts on the first half pull, (unless it's fall and colder), chops up the leaves super fine and has a nice large bagger. On the flip side the Honda is hard to pull back on, the speed control is either on or off because there's not much in between, and yes you've got to keep that deck extra clean.

Funny, I just purchased a Honda HRX217(K6)vka mower and when I pull back on the mower, as long as you release the select speed control handle, it is very easy to do. As far as my speed control goes, I set the dial to just past MIN and it gives me all the speed that I need and with a slight release of the select speed control handle , it will slow down to the speed that I want until it stops completely. As far as cleaning the under side of the deck, there was no clean-up to do! You could count the blades of grass on the underside of the deck! It must be the polymer deck (NEXITE) instead of steel that Honda uses. I use a blower to clean off outside of engine and deck and then I lift the discharge guard, where you do get grass build-up, and blow out the grass clippings. Total time to clean mower about 1 minute. It's ALMOST enjoyable to mow my lawn and clean the mower now.:laughing:

gotomow

Threads
Funny, I just purchased a Honda HRX217(K6)vka mower and when I pull back on the mower, as long as you release the select speed control handle, it is very easy to do. As far as my speed control goes, I set the dial to just past MIN and it gives me all the speed that I need and with a slight release of the select speed control handle , it will slow down to the speed that I want until it stops completely. As far as cleaning the under side of the deck, there was no clean-up to do! You could count the blades of grass on the underside of the deck! It must be the polymer deck (NEXITE) instead of steel that Honda uses. I use a blower to clean off outside of engine and deck and then I lift the discharge guard, where you do get grass build-up, and blow out the grass clippings. Total time to clean mower about 1 minute. It's ALMOST enjoyable to mow my lawn and clean the mower now.:laughing:

Enjoy your "new" machine while you can. Mine acted like your's when it was new. The problem is it's cheap drivetrain cannot withstand the test of time. Mine went 3.5 years before the rear wheels started locking up. My MTD Craftsman mower lasted 20+ years and all I did was replace the drive belt and the rear wheels. The Honda crapped out way before that. Too bad my Honda is not even in the same league as my old MTD.

das1996

Forum Newbie
Threads
@gotomow Sorry, a year late.. Doesn't the hrx come with a 5 yr warranty? Why not make a claim for the failed trans?

gotomow

Threads
@gotomow Sorry, a year late.. Doesn't the hrx come with a 5 yr warranty? Why not make a claim for the failed trans?
It's not the trans. The plastic bushings and inexpensive untreated metal used for the driveshaft causes the issues. Since they are all considered "wear" items they are not covered under warranty. I have also learned from members outside the US that their models feature driveshafts that include a heavy zinc coating that the US models do not have. Most likely that would help with the rust and pitting.

das1996

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe the current generation has addressed this?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe the current generation has addressed this?
I haven't seen it if they have. Still trying to over engineer a lawn mower that the basic design has been around for multiple decades.

slomo