Walbro LMT 5-4993 Carb help

RoughCut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

New guy here, have a '92 Swisher Ride King, 8hp B&S with a Walbro carb that's leaking. Bought a Chinese knock-off from Amazon, didn't work, so got a rebuild kit off ebay but its still leaking. Of course an OEM replacement is about $170 which is more than this is worth, so was hoping someone can point me towards a cheaper replacement carb that will work? Or a troubleshooting guide? Its a Walbro LMT 5-4993, B&S number is 495782.

Thanks for any help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post all Briggs numbers so we know exactly which engine you have. Second post the part number for the rebuild kit. Where is the carb leaking from?

RoughCut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine:

Model 195707 Type 0130 01 Code 92020610

Carb:

Walbro LMT 5-4993 (B&S number on the carb is 495782)

Has a "53" on one flange and "2652" on the other.

The rebuild kit was off ebay, advertised as genuine Walbro but plain white box and no branding on anything when I got it. Valve float needle, float, gaskets.

Appears to be leaking on the back side where the breather tube connects - at least that's where the gas is dripping from.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like the float needle is not seating allowing fuel to keep flowing into the air box and engine. Did your rebuild kit contain a new bronze seat and did you install it. Also, you should have had a new Viton tipped needle. The carb kit number should have been 497535 and had more parts than you knew what to do with.

RoughCut

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, rebuild kit did not include the seat - was wondering if that's the issue, seems like the next logical step. Thanks for the help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you go to this site you will notice the kit should have come with two needles and two seats. In my book buying on eBay is a cap shoot, as you never know it you are getting what you expect. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/briggs-stratton/497535

Double ditto on what Rivets said
my 12 year old grandaughter can build an ebay shop in less than a hour that looks like a boni-fide shop.
There is no such thing as manifactured scrap in China.
Whatever comes off the production line goes to the purchaser.
What is defective ends up being sold on line.

I sell on line and made a mistake in the detailed description of what the parts fitted.
That same mistake showed up on at least a dozen other ebay pages in less than a month.
I only buy from manufacturers who brand their products and even then I have to check every part before it leaves the shop
Around 5% are wrong or defective so get binned or pulled apart for scrap.
OEM means it comes from the same factory. It does not mean it is a good part
Fits means it will go on. IT does not mean that the part actually works.
Then there is the problem that a lot of repair kits, are repair kits for the cheaper pattern part, not the original part.
This is most apparent with Tecumseh carb kits where all of the "rebuild kits" only fit the aftermarket carbs and will not work on the original carb.
On nearly all of the aftermarket carbs the float bowl is shallower so the float needle is shorter which means that most will not cut off the fuel completely when fitted to a genuine carb.