Kohler 24hp Smoking

dhollar99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna 48 inch mower with a Kohler Courage 24hp twin. When I first start it, it smokes oil smoke until it warms up.
Once it warms, the smoking stops. At first I thought I had overfilled the oil reservoir, but I changed the oil and made sure not to, and it still does it.

Suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
leaking head gasket
Worn rings
worn valve stem oil seal
Cracked head

Lawn Addict
Threads
What weight or multi-weight oil are ya using ?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
MY JD mower with a Kohler V twin started doing this a couple years ago, roughly 500 hours on it. I did some research and it seems this is not rare for these motors. Saw three solutions:

1. Before shutting down for the day let the engine idle for half a minute or so.

2. When shutting down for the day leave the engine running at speed and just shut it down.

3. (First two didn't work for me, this one did) Park the mower with the front end elevated. My storage shed has a ramp inside the door so I just park it on the ramp, no smoke.

I'm assuming the valve guides or seals were not designed up to par and prematurely wearing. Maybe an easy fix, or not fixable at all?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect that the oil is seeping past the rings when it sets without being run. Then when you start the engine is burns off that oil that collects in the cylinder and the extra oil in the ring grooves.