Help me put an old man's mind at ease...

Greg in Virginia

Forum Newbie
Threads
...or at least get him off my back lol.

Here's my problem: May Dad (75 years old and not internet aware) has charged me with finding a part for his old Craftsman lawn tractor (GT/18 model 917.257061). It dates back to the late 70s or early 80s. I'm almost 47 years old and remember the day it was delivered but I was a little kid. The part he's after is a carburetor body but he said if he has to get the whole thing, that's fine. The problem is, for whatever reason, he doesn't want it to be from Sears or Craftsman. I know, that's ridiculous, you know that's ridiculous, the whole world knows it too. But he doesn't. Maybe you have one of those elderly fathers too, who practices conspiracy theories and says "that's how they get ya" a lot. :confused2:

I'm assuming that getting a part like this from anyone EXCEPT Craftsma is an impossible task of course, but I wanted some seasoned pros to be able to back up my assumption so I came here. If you have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Greg in Virginia

Forum Newbie
Threads
I actually just did some searching and it appears his is a 1978 version, just comparing to pictures. Wow, I was only 6 years old when that thing was delivered! The memory is seared into my brain evidently :laughing:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, Sears and Craftsman didn't build the engine. Would be a Kohler or Briggs I suspect, maybe a rare Onan which would make that one heck of a machine. But those old carbs can sure be rebuilt by a decent mechanic to new condition for not a lot of money. But search the engine over for an engine number and make and repost, someone can probably come up with a carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Craftsman did not make the engine or the carburettor or the mower for that matter
917= Roper, they were the company that supplied the mower.
AYP made it to Ropers specification for Sears to sell.
As you can see there was a lot more margin back then.

If no trade person comes back with an actual engine maker & carb model, you can go to parts Tree then search for Craftsman and find your mower then look at the part number for the carb.
In parts tree it will be the makers part number and not the sears part number.
It will most likely be obsolete, but a carb is a carb is a carb so it can be substituted with another on from the same sized engine.

Romore

Threads
The engine is an Onan B48M-GAO18/3417A, the carb is part number 142-0568 which is likely no longer available but worth a try. However, be prepared to mortgage your first born if purchasing from Onan. The repair kit is part number 142-0570, it may be available from an aftermarket supplier for a lot less.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The original engine for that unit was an Onan 18hp B48M-GAO18-3417A. That being said I now see why the carb costs so much, if you can find one. The Onan part number is 142-0568. This carb was built by Marvel Shebler for models DD11, DD13, DD15 systems and installed on Onan engines B43M and B48M. There are rebuild kits out there, but be careful buying them online. Lot of people say they have them, but many times it is not the right kit. Do your home work. I agree with your dad, stay away from Sears, will only give you more headaches. Father knows best in this case, yes I’m also just about his age and it’s not RIDICULOUS. I would start my search with the oldest mechanic in your area and see if he has any suggestions. You need to find one who has worked on these older engines, as they are a little different than today engines. Here is a site which has the original owners manual which also might help you out. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/795242/Sears-917-257061.html. Hope this helps you out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just remembered that Wheel Horse used those Onan engines in a few different models. D-160, 520H, 416 etc. Might try to find an old timer at a Toro dealer. Again the older the better. If all else fails I’ve worked on those engines which were install in the older RV’s. Might be your last resort.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with your Dad, "that's how they get ya".............

Greg in Virginia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the input gents. I should have gotten information from the engine in the first place. I will do that tomorrow. BTW, he saved the original owners manual for the tractor :shocked: I can barely keep track of the mail I picked up an hour ago.

Greg in Virginia

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, you fellers sure know your mowers. It was an Onan just like Rivets said. I looked extensively and found a few places online that sell the carbs. As a friend of mine says when something is very expensive: "they're awful proud of 'em". They ranged mostly between $600 to $900 but I found a "cheap" one at $422. That's too much for my Dad to fork over.

His original dilemma is that he uses a rear mounted tiller on the old tractor to till his garden, but with the tractor not working, that is useless as well. He has a newer Craftsman that he uses for mowing but the rear of that one is not compatible (as far as we can see) a similar tiller. It's not looking promising for a ride behind tilling now. He does have a walk behind tiller that will get him though so he's not going to have to give up his garden.

I sure do thank you all for your help. Good luck and God bless.