SS4225

sammy77

Forum Newbie
Threads
New here, need some advice please.

I'm looking to buy a SS4225 from Home Depot. I've never owned a Zero Turn. This would just be used for residential use only. I mow a little over an acre, all flat land. I tend to mow twice a week(mulching), then bag leaves in the fall. I know the bagger is pricey.

How are these new motors? Who makes them for Toro?? My only concern is I split firewood, and would like to pull a cart with a 300lb load of firewood with this machine a few hundred feet or so. I do this just for my home, so it's like 8 weekends a year or so.. Is this too much for it?

Thank you for any advice!

gotomow

Threads
Here is a link to the Toro site:https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-ss4225-74721

Looks like Kohler makes the engine for this model. I looked long and hard at this model but decided for my sloped property a riding lawn tractor would work best for me. As far as towing I would contact Toro directly. If you click on the Support part of the menu on the link page that should help you contact them.

sammy77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a link to the Toro site:https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-ss4225-74721

Looks like Kohler makes the engine for this model. I looked long and hard at this model but decided for my sloped property a riding lawn tractor would work best for me. As far as towing I would contact Toro directly. If you click on the Support part of the menu on the link page that should help you contact them.

Thank you. I believe Kohler makes the 22hp in the older models, this is a 22.5hp. It probably still is a Kohler.

cruzenmike

Threads
The engine is made in China under the quality control of Toro. From what I have heard the 22.5 and 24.5 Toro V-twins are doing well and have few problems. As for your question regarding towing, a cart that is loaded to 300 lbs, with good rolling, properly inflated tires and on flat level ground should be fine. They (Toro) will tell you that it is rated for 100 lbs of towing. In the tow setting and at full throttle you not have a problem with your cart on flat land. Go through soft mushy, muddy stuff or up a grade you could damage the hydrostatics. Simply put, the EZTs are not made for towing; do at your own risk.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Toro branded engines are 22.5 & 24.5 made in china as was posted.

Toro Timecutters have different speed selections. After 2014 they went to 3 ranges for trimming, towing & mowing. I would say light towing only if you did.

My 2014 was last year to get a Kawasaki, which I did. No regrets here.....

sammy77

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Toro branded engines are 22.5 & 24.5 made in china as was posted.

Toro Timecutters have different speed selections. After 2014 they went to 3 ranges for trimming, towing & mowing. I would say light towing only if you did.

My 2014 was last year to get a Kawasaki, which I did. No regrets here.....

Thank you both very much!

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: One thing I would add, if you buy from big box store & need warranty repair or service, local Dealer won't be eager to put you ahead of the others that bought from Dealer.

Just saying...

cruzenmike

Threads
All things considered you should buy from a dealer so long as the deal they give you can match that of the box store. Most of the time prices on these machines will be same at both places but where the box store might prove better os when they have exclusive sales or coupons that may be used. In the case of Home Depot a 10% off coupon could save you $200 off the SS4225. You could always work with the dealer for a better price if you have a cheaper option elsewhere. You would be surprised how much money the dealers have to make on the equipment. Every unit the dealer sells at a profit is a sale not otherwise lost to the box store. A good relationship with the dealer is always good too for when you need them. If the dealer is unwilling to work with you on price when their competition is selling for cheaper, you must decide what is worth more to you; saving money or risking a lower priority repair down the road.

sammy77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I totally agree with the dealer relationship. I actually opted to buy a Cub Cadet, because of it..:confused2:
As far as repairs go, I do 99% of them myself. I actually own an auto repair business, but I'm usually too busy to mess with a mower, other than maintenance, but I will if I have to. Thank you all very much!

cruzenmike

Threads
I totally agree with the dealer relationship. I actually opted to buy a Cub Cadet, because of it..:confused2:
As far as repairs go, I do 99% of them myself. I actually own an auto repair business, but I'm usually too busy to mess with a mower, other than maintenance, but I will if I have to. Thank you all very much!

Which Cub Cadet did you end up going with?