Accidently Reversed booster cables, now starter engages when key is in 'run' position

meteors63

Threads
  • / Accidently Reversed booster cables, now starter engages when key is in 'run' position
I have a Kohler Command CH23 on a Deines Mower. When boosting the mower, I accidentally reversed polarity when boosting it (stupid I know). While it was reversed (and didn't realize it), when turning the key, I could hear something like possibly the starter turning backwards (but not engaging the engine). Don't know if it actually was turning backwards, just sounded that way. I then realized my mistake and corrected the polarity of the booster cables. But now when I went to start it, I turn the key to 'run' and it starts cranking and continues to crank even when engine starts. Acts like a stuck solenoid (only, it's not stuck). Quickly shut it off. But every time I turn the key to the run position (not the start), the starter starts turning the engine. What do you think I may have damaged?

I checked my solenoid with a volt/ohm meter thinking it's stuck in engaged position but it's not. So when I turn the key to 'run', I can hear the solenoid engage and the starter will start turning the engine to start it. I also pulled the ignition switch off and checked it's continuity and it appears to be working properly.

Any thoughts as to what might be wrong? Please give good detail, I'm no mechanic. Thanks so much for any help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Accidently Reversed booster cables, now starter engages when key is in 'run' position
check for damaged wiring, insulation burnt off, all locations & use electrical tape, make sure all connections are tight & secure. you may want to remove starter, for Safety first remove negative ground from battery, for inspection & bench test.

do not remove starter, let Rivets weigh in on your electrical issue.

Last edited:

meteors63

Threads
It's a nightmare to take the start off; need to pull the engine, and not easy to do that either (whole machine needs to be dismantled. But will check for burned wiring or loose connections. (didn't see any damage on the wiring on initial inspection. Thanks.

Luffydog

Threads
I would say there is a one way diode in the harness that controls the flow in the kohler harness that when you made the mistake it made diode blow now when you turn the key it doesn't know which way for it to flow those are replaceable I would just get the kohler harness replaced as it might have other damage to it.

helomech

Threads
Sounds to me the relay is fried, stuck on.

meteors63

Threads
The solenoid is good, I put a VOM on it and it's dis-engaging when it loses power (plus you can hear the loud click when it engages). I'm starting to think that yeah, it may be the diode. So need to pull the engine out I guess. Thanks guys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the starter solenoid trigger wire for voltage and if it has voltage when the ignition is turned on then there is a short in that wire or a relay that energizes that wire is shorted.
It is a bit difficult to go any deeper without a wiring diagram.
I am assuming you have a piggy back solenoid on the starter.

helomech

Threads
The solenoid is good, I put a VOM on it and it's dis-engaging when it loses power (plus you can hear the loud click when it engages). I'm starting to think that yeah, it may be the diode. So need to pull the engine out I guess. Thanks guys.

But it is only supposed to be energized when the key is in the start position. Sounds like you said it was energized when the key is in the run position.

meteors63

Threads
Check the starter solenoid trigger wire for voltage and if it has voltage when the ignition is turned on then there is a short in that wire or a relay that energizes that wire is shorted.
It is a bit difficult to go any deeper without a wiring diagram.
I am assuming you have a piggy back solenoid on the starter.

Could not see any voltage on what I believe to be the 'trigger wire' (blue). That one eems to be grounded (or a continuity close to ground). By a piggy back solenoid, I assume you mean it's physically attached to the starter? If so, yes it is.

I've attached a wiring diagram.

Attachments

• WiringDiagram.jpg
    WiringDiagram.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 10

meteors63

Threads
But it is only supposed to be energized when the key is in the start position. Sounds like you said it was energized when the key is in the run position.

Yes that's right. When I turn the key to the 'run' position, I hear the solenoid click to engage the starter. Pretty sure that's only supposed to happen when I turn the key to the 'start' position, not 'run'. When key is off, there is no continuity across the two large terminals at the solenoid so it does appear to be 'stuck' on.