Motor oil drain plug location

abarone300

Threads
Hello everyone
I'm trying to locate the oil's drain plug; because it's been contaminated by gasoline drained from the gas tank. My HT-R3009 shuts down after a couple of minutes.
I've found a drain plug that connects the base of the oil fill tube through a braided hose, but after removing the drain plug bolt, only a few drops of oil come out, even if I tilt machine almost sideway.

Is there another drain hole I should be using? I tried consulting the manual; but the picture is not very clear as to the position of the drain plug. I'll include pics of one I located. Thank you guys for any help you might be able to give me...

IMG_1910.jpgIMG_1907.jpgIMG_1908.jpgIMG_1909.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say either something is preventing the oil from draining from the plug location in your first picture, or there is no oil in the engine, which could explain why the engine is shutting down.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get one of those oil extractors, like a Pela 6000.

Run it down the dipstick tube or oil fill and get out as much oil as you can.

Refill with oil. Do not overfill; use the dipstick, don't dump in a quantity you have read that it holds.

Start the engine and run for a few minutes.

Empty the oil extractor.

Wait 15 minutes, then use the extractor to empty the crankcase again.

Measure the amount of oil you just took out. This is your new 'oil change' quantity. If this quantity differs from the manufacturer's specified crankcase capacity, shorten the oil change interval to match. For example, if your crankcase capacity is 32 ounces and you can only get out 29 ounces (~10% less), shorten the oil change interval by 10%. If the manufacturer recommends a 100 hour oil change interval, shorten it to 90 hours.

abarone300

Threads
I would say either something is preventing the oil from draining from the plug location in your first picture, or there is no oil in the engine, which could explain why the engine is shutting down.

Thanks for responding.
Than, the drain plug I'm looking at is the correct one? Is it possible that the braided hose connecting the drain plug to the refilling tube is clogged with sludge and prevents the oil from draining out?
The oil level was within limits when I checked it last and when I tilt the machine the oil tends to come out from the filling tube, I'm going to try to free up the hose with compressed air or remove it...

Last edited:

abarone300

Threads
Re: Motor oil drain plug location, REMOVED braided hose

I removed the braded hose; it was clogged like I suspected! There was also a kink in the 90 degree elbow turn. Can someone tell me if this is the original design and if it's adviseable to reinstall the same piece after cleaning it, or substitute the hose with a different elbow that wouldn't kink like this one did. Thank you all
IMG_1914.jpg