Ferris IS2500Z with 61" deck and Yanmar diesel, cranks forever before starting

Old Lonely

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ferris IS2500Z with 61" deck and Yanmar diesel, cranks forever before starting
I have a Ferris IS2500 with Yanmar Diesel. When trying to start it up, it takes forever. I charge the glow plugs, then turn key on so fuel pump charges fuel system, but it seems it cranks over for a long long time before starting. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Once it starts and has run, it will restart without any problems, even after cooling down several hours. It will restart all day long, but if it sits overnight, it takes forever the next day.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Ferris IS2500Z with 61" deck and Yanmar diesel, cranks forever before starting
Re: Ferris IS2500Z with 61" deck and Yanmar diesel, cranks forever before starting

no need to use glow plugs in warm weather, you need to adjust valves & replace fuel filter with fresh diesel in filter or use primer pump if engine has one, you may need to have a helper turn key while you crack loose injector lines & bleed air from fuel system. if problem still persists, depending on number of hours on engine, i would remove injectors & take to reputable diesel shop for overhaul. having Yanmar Diesel Shop manual would be my top priority.

http://www.ferrisandwrightmowers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ferris-IS2500Z-Setup-Manual.pdf

see page 17

https://www.yanmar.com/global/support/documents/engine.html

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: Ferris IS2500Z with 61" deck and Yanmar diesel, cranks forever before starting

If it has been sitting all winter then the fuel could well have gone off .
Down here it is only guaranteed for 60 days and then only if it was bought & stored in a sealed container.

Padroo

Threads

How many hours are on your machine?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads

Low compression is a possibility. Stick a hair dryer in the air intake and see if that makes a difference.