McCulloch fuel mixture

djohn24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, hoping someone can confirm the correct fuel/oil ratio. I found the info on http://www.acresinternet.com. It calls for a 40:1 ratio on my Pro Mac 700 & Pro Mac 610. The other night, I watched a Video on Youtube on a McCulloch 610. In comment section, it talks about a 40:1 ratio if your using " McCulloch oil ". If any other SAE 2 cycle oil then the ratio should be 20:1. Aren't the oils all the same? Thanks in advance!

Russ2251

Threads
Only ISO-L-EGD or JASO FD rated oils should be used and should be mixed 40:1.
Available everywhere.
TC-W3 oil should NOT be used.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remember the days when you used engine oil in the fuel, the days when there was no such thing has 2 cycle oil...!

Russ2251

Threads
I remember the days when you used engine oil in the fuel...
At a 16:1 mix (back then), the cloud and odor was somehow more pleasing than it is now.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello, hoping someone can confirm the correct fuel/oil ratio. I found the info on http://www.acresinternet.com. It calls for a 40:1 ratio on my Pro Mac 700 & Pro Mac 610. The other night, I watched a Video on Youtube on a McCulloch 610. In comment section, it talks about a 40:1 ratio if your using " McCulloch oil ". If any other SAE 2 cycle oil then the ratio should be 20:1. Aren't the oils all the same? Thanks in advance!

Most of the 2 cycle manufacturers did that. If you are using our oil use this ratio, but if using any other brand then use a mixture that is double the oil ratio. Stihl used 50:1 of their oil but recommended 25:1 for other oils. Homelite, Dolmar/Makita, McCulloch, all had it in their owners Manuals. Now to add some confusion McCulloch was traditionally 40:1 but some of the early 700 and 10-10 saws had a service bulletin that changed the ratio from 40:1 to 32:1.

djohn24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good info! Thanks everyone for the input.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What most fail to appreciate that fuel:eek:il ratios are for the fuels and oils that were available at the dat5e that the manual was written.
These can bear zero resembalance to the fuel & oil you are using 10 years latter.
Thus most ratios end up being way way way too oil rich.
I see a lot more two strokes suffering from carbon build up & scoring on the barrel than I do from running two thin a mix.
Modern ashless 2 stroke oil can be run very lean.
Nothing in my shop get run on anything thinner than 50:1 using ashless oil.
If you go to synthetic you can go even leaner.
The down side is synthetics do not burn so it is hard to see the slight oil haze in the exhaust indicating you have enough oil.