Engine what weight oil do I use?

bonzjivar

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2013 Craftsman t1000 (247.203700) riding mower has a discrepancy between the manual and the actual markings on the engine. The manual calls for straight 30 weight oil or 5w-20 in frigid conditions. Two stickers on the engine, along with the cap on the dipstick itself, indicate 10w-30. This is the Chinese 420cc engine. Has anybody experienced this or know which it should be? Thanks for any help.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd probably run the 10w30 oil in the motor. And I'd run a lawn mower spec oil rather than current automotive spec oil. Something like Kohler or Briggs branded oil.

Romore

Threads
I prefer a single weight oil for use in summer, the engine is working under the worst conditions imaginable and needs all the lubrication it can get. Engines with hydraulic lifters such as Kohler Commands do better on multi weight to prevent valve clatter on startup. IMHO, 'lawnmower oil' is marketing hype.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use multi-vis oil in my air cooled engines, but not the current "S" rated automotive oils. Newer automotive oils are formulated to be compatible with catalytic converters and have had some things removed; heavy duty "C" oils are not.

The oils I recommend are:
Rotella
Mobil Delvac
Valvoline Blue
Chevron

Most of the time what you find will be 15w-40. I have seen Rotella 10w-30 at O'Reilly's. NAPA's house brand is made by Valvolene.