Rusty Flywheel on New Mower...should I care?

Mows

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a new riding mower from a big box store (not my preference, but long story). It was delivered and appeared to be in new condition, no signs of wear anywhere and only .1 hours on the clock. I used it once and afterwards noticed a bit of rust on on the plastic hood, shining a light into the engine revealed the flywheel to be covered in rust. This is likely because the mower was stored outside before sale. I'm not sure how to feel about this- on one hand the mower works, but seeing rust on a new mower doesn't make me happy. Some might say that I should have gone to a dealer, and I can tell you there are two mower/tractor dealers in my area, and they both keep all their tractors sitting outside chained up in all weather- I live in the Northeast so that means lots of rain. I'm not convinced I'd fare any better there. Assuming the mower is working, should I leave it be? I don't have a trailer, so getting the mower back to the store anyway would be difficult.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Don't worry about it. Rust is mostly cosmetic.
Never seen a flywheel fly apart or anything because of rust.

Russ2251

Threads
There are some folks out there who will tell you that rust will adversely affect the magnetic properties.
It won't.

Lawn Addict
Threads
After a season or so, you should be removing the engine cover (blower housing) for service anyhow to make sure the engine & cylinder fins are clean from mowing debris.

If the rust bugs you, you can clean it then. Keeping the loose particles away from the coil(s).

Mows

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I guess I won't give it too much thought.

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup: