Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / SCAG Tiger Cub 23 HP Kawasaki, Clutch engages/disengages Engine quits too
SCAG Tiger Cub
Model: STC52A-23KA
S/N: 6620181
Engine S/N: FH680VA18621
Engine Spec #: FH680V-AS12

First off I need to say that I have the owners manual for my SCAG and I have viewed the wiring diagram.
The other day the starter on my mower quit working so I checked all of the safety switches (Handles, brake, seat) and they all checked out ok. I checked the two 20 AMP Fuses and they were fine, I checked the battery, it had 100% charge and had just been replaced 3 weeks earlier anyway. I then checked out the PTO Switch based off of a video I watched on youtube and it checked out ok. I then did the same thing for the ignition switch and it checked out ok. I replaced the starter relay because it didn't seem to be working perfectly every time which I had noticed before when I had to turn the key a couple of times to get the mower to crank. The starter then engaged fine a few times then wouldn't engage at all even though I could hear the relay clicking. Then the PTO swtich would not cause the clutch to engage and after about 2 minutes of snapping it back and forth the clutch engaged then disengaged and I was able to crank the mower. At this point I'm still thinking something isnt right but I decide to mow the grass because rain was moving in the next day. So I'm mowing along for about 2 minutes and then the clutch disengages then re-engages and repeats a couple of times until the mower quits. I try to crank the mower but the PTO Switch has no effect on the clutch and the mower will not crank. I then continued trying the PTO switch until it finally disengaged the clutch and I cranked the mower. I then attempted to mow again but it disengaged and re-engaged the clutch again until the mower started to die. I immediately disengaged the clutch manually and the mower ran fine for a good 5 minutes until I engaged the clutch and then the going dead and disengaging and re-engaging of the clutch started all over again. I pulled the mower into the garage, checked the fuses and the battery and all was good. Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this because I am stumped?

NorthBama

Threads
I agree with Mark check the gap adjustment. Is that location Huntsville Alabama

mhall32

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thank you Mark, I will watch the videos and see what I can do tomorrow. I'm not opposed to putting it in the shop, just needed it immediately and couldnt afford the 2 or 3 week turnaround.

NorthBama

Threads

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the electrical system grounds which are connected to one of the engine mounting bolts.
There is a relay under the panel near the key switch. When all the safety circuits are in the correct position for cranking/starting, the electronic control module senses this and allows an electrical ground for the relay and the relay sends voltage to the starter solenoid. All this will happen providing that the PTO switch, the key switch and all electrical connections are good.