FR651V - Thirsty Girl!

Rob89

Threads
I'm completely happy with the FR651V on my Bobcat- she is smooth and powerful and always fires right up. But wow is she thirsty!!! Based on the amount of time I am putting on her vs the amount of gas I am feeding her, my rough guesstimate is that she is burning about 1.5-2 gallons per hour. I'm not complaining, and I'll continue to feed her an all-you-can-eat diet but wow! I'm coming from a Home Depot MTD branded ride-on that would mow all day on 2 gallons so maybe that is why I'm shocked.

Just wondering if this fuel burn sounds normal for this motor?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depends on a lot of factors but I doubt you're at 2 gallons/hour. That would be high. My guess is that you're having so much fun on it that you don't realize how much time has gone by. :laughing:

But yeah, my FX691V seems thirsty too. But to put it in perspective it's not that much considering that my big backpack blower burns about 1/2 gallon per hour.

Rob89

Threads
I am indeed having fun with it. I went from not caring at all about my lawn to having a plan to make it the nicest lawn on the street. I mowed at 3.5 inches deck height yesterday- next mow will be a little longer so I can get the stripes to come in! This season is what it is but in the fall I will prepare for next season by aerating, detaching, and over seeding. That should set me up right for an awesome lawn next season.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Excellent. You may find that cut quality will suffer due to loss of suction if you mow much higher if the turf is thin . Dense turf will "seal" the deck and still lift and cut the grass well but if it's thin you may have uncut grass, especially where the front caster wheels have run it over before the deck gets to it.

Rob89

Threads
Excellent. You may find that cut quality will suffer due to loss of suction if you mow much higher if the turf is thin . Dense turf will "seal" the deck and still lift and cut the grass well but if it's thin you may have uncut grass, especially where the front caster wheels have run it over before the deck gets to it.

Yesterday was the first time cutting that high and I didn't have any issues. My deck is pitched 1/4" to the rear so the grass is also getting cut twice.

It didn't stripe but I am happy with the quality of cut.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get some hours on that 651V, mine improved on gas usage & performance when I went over 100 hours..

Noticeable difference,.