Ryobi finally has a Steel Deck 40V push mower ...

MowerMike

Threads
  • / Ryobi finally has a Steel Deck 40V push mower ...
Let's hope it is just a capacity issue in that the G-MAX charger could only handle up to 4Ah batteries so they had to come up with a new charger for the new Elite Series that can be above 4Ah.

Just as a followup, I received the model C-220 Elite charger, and it works fine with the 3 Ah L-300 and 6 Ah L-600 Elite batteries. I was tempted to see if it would work with one my G-MAX batteries until I read the label on the back of the charger. Yikes !

20190427_170442173_iOS.jpg

dougmacm

Threads
that charger has a December 2017 date code on it … considering they released this Elite product line in May 2018 it's got to be from one of the earliest batches.

So maybe I'm correct in thinking there is something different about the Elite Charger … and it could be that it charges at a higher rate for these new batteries which the G-Max batteries may not be able to tolerate.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
I don't think so. The outputs (40 Volts and 2.2 Amps) and the charging times for the G-MAX and Elite chargers are identical. Also, I observed that the maximum open circuit voltage achieved for the Elite batteries was about the same as the G-MAX batteries (41.0 to 41.5 volts). So, the Elite charger is not charging the batteries any faster or any higher than the G-MAX charger. There must be something else going on here that prevents interchangeability between these two systems. Maybe the thermal sensor on the Elite charger permits the Elite battery to get hotter before preventing charging to occur.

dougmacm

Threads
Interesting.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
Update on the Greenworks Elite vs G-MAX battery/charger situation

First off, my apologies to the OP for continuing to hijack this thread, but I felt compelled to close out this mysterious issue.

To recap, I purchased a pair of Greenworks 40 volt Elite batteries and discovered that they won't recharge in my G-MAX chargers. I then purchased a new Elite charger, and the Elite batteries charge properly. There are dire warnings on the Elite charger not to charge non-Elite batteries, so I don't attempt to recharge mt G-MAX batteries in it. When the OP suggests that there might be a difference between the output specifications of the Elite and G-MAX chargers, I retrieve the manuals for the two different chargers are reply that they are the same, and that both chargers output 2.2 Amps. So, the problem is a mystery as to why the Elite batteries won't recharge in G-MAX chargers.

This mystery is now solved, due to some recent revelations that I found on Amazon. A review was posted by someone who purchased a Greenworks Elite L-600 (6ah) battery, complaining that it would not recharge in a G-MAX charger. Another person commented that they had no such problems, and that the ONLY difference was that the charger output as shown on the label was 2.2 Amps, whereas the the reviewer's label indicated that it was 2 Amps. The reviewer's charger label had a date code for year 2013, whereas the commentor's label showed 2016. So, I took another look at my G-MAX chargers, and indeed their labels showed 2 Amps rather than 2.2 Amps. These chargers had date codes from years 2012 and 2013. I had made my assertion that the output was 2.2 Amps based on a G-MAX model 29482 charger manual, but then saw that the publication date of the manual was 06-11-16, long after manufacturing dates of my G-MAX chargers ! After reviewing my OPE purchase records, I realized that this manual was from a G-MAX tool purchase that I had made in August of 2016, but had never used the charger. I found that charger and the label on the back with a date code from late 2015 showed an output of 2.2 Amps ! So I placed my Elite batteries in it, and voila, they both charged up ! I next rummaged though my collection of old manuals, and found an older G-MAX charger manual with a publication date of 12-10-12 that showed a charger output of 2 Amps. Finally, I tried recharging one of my G-MAX batteries in the new Elite C-220 charger, and it successfully did so without any drama. So, apparently, Greenworks made some sort of change to the G-MAX charger during 2015, but did not add some sort of revision letter to the part number or ever document this change. This went under the radar until something that changed with the circuitry in the new Elite batteries made them incompatible with the older generation G-MAX chargers. It now seems very possible that there is no significant difference between the Elite chargers and the newer G-MAX chargers. I still have a few days remaining on my free Amazon return window for the Elite charger I just purchased, but unfortunately like a fool I have already discarded the box and cut the warning label off the cord. Oh well, now I have a spare charger for my Elite batteries.

The attached photos show the differences between the older and newer G-MAX chargers and manual.

20190521_130442891_iOS.jpg20190521_130456091_iOS.jpg20190521_131418461_iOS.jpg

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
what advantage do Elite batteries offer? is 'regular' G-max being phased-out?

i'm confused

MowerMike

Threads
what advantage do Elite batteries offer? is 'regular' G-max being phased-out?

i'm confused

Other than higher capacity, I don't thing there's any advantage. I think it's just some sort of marketing thing. Basically, I think Greenworks is trying to position their Elite tool lineup as their premium version of their 40 volt tools. When Greenworks first introduced the G-MAX battery line, some of their tools were designated DigiPro with premium brushless motors and digital controls. These tools were noticeably higher quality and made more sturdily. All the new Elite tools also feature brushless motors and higher capacity batteries than their regular G-MAX brethren. I also think that the Elite series are being sold more outside the USA, particularly Canada, which is why they do not currently appear on the Greenworks USA website. So, no, I don't think the G-MAX lineup is being phased out, although it's possible that it will be renamed in the future. In any event, you probably don't want to buy an Elite battery, unless you already own a G-MAX charger that is new enough to charge it.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
thanx MM - I'm gonna look at the charger that came with my new mower - otherwise, I'm not gonna sweat it just now.

dougmacm

Threads
Yes a hijack, but a GOOD hijack !!

All 4 of my GMAX chargers are dated between 10/2015 & 12/2017 and ALL say 2.2 A output so I should be able to charge these Elite Batteries.

I just ordered one of the 6AH batteries from that seller on ebay to try it out.

I want to try and sell my 40V Snowthower and probably would be an easier sell if I can include a battery & charger.

That would have left me with only (2) 4Ah batteries and I need around 10Ah worth of batteries to cut my whole lawn with my 40V SP Mower. Guess I could have winged it using either my 2.5 or 2.0 Ah to finish up, but that's cutting it a bit close. Also need power to run the blower when I'm done cutting too.

Thanks,

Doug