Guess i am done with mulch deck Move to open deck with adjustable discharge?

Threads
  • / Guess i am done with mulch deck Move to open deck with adjustable discharge?
So after purchasing several different blades, trying to adjust deck and mulch deck kit i still have the issue where most of my lawns i tackle are always damp when i start mowing and do not dry out till after lunch time in most areas. some of them are bi weekly lawns so makes it more difficult. Attach that with the fact that most are not thick lawn either and it causes an issue with vacuum in the mulch deck.

So i guess now i am looking to get better at side discharge and and some sort of adjustable shoot block.

Anyone have experience with these on the exmark mowers preferably the radius?

I try to keep time on each lawn at a minimum and most of the time i do not have to double cut but i have to cut so slow i could logically double cut in the same time.

Also how do you guys deal with leaves when not running a mulch deck? Just close the shoot and run over the once then open shoot and make a second pass?

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Guess i am done with mulch deck Move to open deck with adjustable discharge?
I told you so in your original post. My advice given there still stands...

Threads
I told you so in your original post. My advice given there still stands...

I know you did. I never stated anyone was wrong im just one of those people who kinda have to make the mistake on their own lol..

Threads
Just to make sure i am correct you said you used the regular high lift blades that come on the mowers then switch to the g5 blades after start of season?

Threads
Went back to a side discharge this weekend. Tried several things. X blades. High lift blades. G5 blades. Own blades. I get the best cut of course running x blades with the g5 on bottom and one blade on top. But wow the deck blowout is crazy that and takes forever to hide the clippings. If it’s extremely dry and not cutting much at all off it look as good if not better than using the mulch kit. If it’s a 2-3 inches or more then I’m making 3-4 passes. I guess I just suck at this bc not sure what to do here.

I’ve made sure tire pressure is good and I have have tried 1/8 inch to a full inch of deck rake and cannot get rid of the blowouts but I assume it’s jjst bc of the amount of air inside the deck from run in the 6 blades instead of 3.

So tricks to hide the clipping bc it took me forever even longer than running the mulch kit to get done with 6 lawns and I know if I would have left them any way but the way i did my customers wouldn’t have been happy. Maybe I really am expecting to much out of my little mower??

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to make sure i am correct you said you used the regular high lift blades that come on the mowers then switch to the g5 blades after start of season?
First cut during spring cleanup is with the G5 Gators. Then high lifts during crazy spring growth period, then Gators again for the balance of the season including fall cleanups. If we get a heavy growth again in late summer/early fall I'll put the high lifts back on. Basically Gators don't do that well during periods of intense growth with the cool season grasses in my region - clumping.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
P.S. - There's always the option of just hitting any heavy accumulations of clippings with a backpack blower. With one of the new generation of big blowers it's a pretty quick task.