snapper gear lube

snappermike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi i am new to this, I have a snapper rer 2001 i think? I bought some 00 grease from tractor supply for the chain case, what i have read that the old grease dries up. also that some people put 80-90 gear lube in there instead of 00. What I was thinking was if i put just a little 80-90 in the case to maybe loosen the old 00 and thin it down to what it was when new, then toping it off with 00 grease.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grease is made from a slippery powder mixed with a fluid.
Over time the fluid dries out so the grease goes hard.
It also reacts with air , metal and heaven only knows what else.
Not all of the slippery powders can be mixed together without them reacting with each other.
Thus you must either use the same type of grease or remove all of the old grease.
Basically they are lithium powder , calcium powder, tefflon , graphite , Molly or clay.
The liquids used to mix the powders can also react so it is not as easy as adding some oil & topping up.

snappermike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert for all the advice. sorry i didn't respond sooner i just got out of the hospital.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just top of the gear and chain cases YEARLY with the 00 grease from Tractor Supply. That is good quality 00 grease for cheap.

00 and 80-90w are completely different fluids. The viscosities are way different and so are the additive packages. Oils and greases are formulated for specific applications. Long story short, Snapper says to use 00 grease. Listen to what they are saying...

About the so called dried up 00 grease. I can promise you this, if you split the gear or chain cases, you will NOT find dust where the 00 grease has dried. That is some old internet BS. Dried up means that OVER TIME, their grease has leaked out and they never refilled with 00. Now stating that, yes oils and greases over time can become thicker, IF left open to the air directly. The solvents evaporate which thickens the fluid (years and years old fluid). So if your cases were split or the fill plugs were gone from the machine, I could see some thickening. Don't over think this. Top off with 00 and never look back.

Now if you want to be thorough, remove the cases and split them. Clean them out with the best greasy oily parts cleaner on Earth. It's called Diesel fuel. Use an old metal paint tray and an old paint brush. Diesel is cheap, what $2.75 a gallon compared to canned death (brake cleaner) with all its deadly fumes and high prices. Diesel is a great parts cleaner EVERYONE forgets about. Clean the carbs and push mower transmissions out with it.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dried up does not mean turned into dust.
It means dried sufficiently to prevent the grease flowing.
Having a box full of grease that never touches a gear, shaft or bushing is not much good.
And yes a regular top up is a good idea.
On the mowers I have with manual boxes I try to find a spot to put a grease nipple so it is just a couple of strokes every so often.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dried up does not mean turned into dust.
It means dried sufficiently to prevent the grease flowing.
Having a box full of grease that never touches a gear, shaft or bushing is not much good.
And yes a regular top up is a good idea.
On the mowers I have with manual boxes I try to find a spot to put a grease nipple so it is just a couple of strokes every so often.

Good ideas Bert. Thanks for sharing with us sir.

slomo

snappermike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just top of the gear and chain cases YEARLY with the 00 grease from Tractor Supply. That is good quality 00 grease for cheap.

00 and 80-90w are completely different fluids. The viscosities are way different and so are the additive packages. Oils and greases are formulated for specific applications. Long story short, Snapper says to use 00 grease. Listen to what they are saying...

About the so called dried up 00 grease. I can promise you this, if you split the gear or chain cases, you will NOT find dust where the 00 grease has dried. That is some old internet BS. Dried up means that OVER TIME, their grease has leaked out and they never refilled with 00. Now stating that, yes oils and greases over time can become thicker, IF left open to the air directly. The solvents evaporate which thickens the fluid (years and years old fluid). So if your cases were split or the fill plugs were gone from the machine, I could see some thickening. Don't over think this. Top off with 00 and never look back.

Now if you want to be thorough, remove the cases and split them. Clean them out with the best greasy oily parts cleaner on Earth. It's called Diesel fuel. Use an old metal paint tray and an old paint brush. Diesel is cheap, what $2.75 a gallon compared to canned death (brake cleaner) with all its deadly fumes and high prices. Diesel is a great parts cleaner EVERYONE forgets about. Clean the carbs and push mower transmissions out with it.

slomo

thanks slomo i will top it off