New B&S engine on a power washer, say's "NO NEED TO CHANGE OIL.....

Skyskier

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New B&S engine on a power washer, say's "NO NEED TO CHANGE OIL.....
EVER ! ? ..................I've never heard of such a thing, BUT, can this be ?.....anybody have any expierence with these ?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
These machines seem to have a short life anyway, see the motors on Ebay pretty regularly. Synthetic oil fill would last a good long time I suppose. I'd change it now and then though.

Romore

Threads
It's a marketing thing. They know most consumers seldom if ever change the oil so with improved technology the it will extend to the expected life of the engine. The key is clean fuel and regular air filter maintenance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When any of our customers ask about this, our stock answer is change the oil just as you have done in the past. $3.00 in cheap insurance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs claims that oil usage from the full to the add mark is 20% of the oil capacity. That 20% will replenish the additive in the oil for continued use. The expected life is 125 hours of operation, which for the average user is 10 years.

cruzenmike

Threads
Briggs claims that oil usage from the full to the add mark is 20% of the oil capacity. That 20% will replenish the additive in the oil for continued use. The expected life is 125 hours of operation, which for the average user is 10 years.

I feel as if 12.5 hrs a year of use is kind of low. I would think that I put at least 25 hours a year on my push mower when living in the city. But then again my lawn was fertilized, watered and cut every 3-4 days during the warm months. Either way, if what you state is correct, the engine might still outlast the transmission, wheels and deck on some of these machines. Many consumers just don't take care of their equipment.

Another thing that boggles my mind is that these engines would even consume oil at a rate fast enough to need topping off that frequently. I have never gone more than once season without changing the oil, but if from start to finish of each season I never consume any oil, I could theoretically go forever. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . without adding any.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I feel as if 12.5 hrs a year of use is kind of low. I would think that I put at least 25 hours a year on my push mower when living in the city. But then again my lawn was fertilized, watered and cut every 3-4 days during the warm months. Either way, if what you state is correct, the engine might still outlast the transmission, wheels and deck on some of these machines. Many consumers just don't take care of their equipment.

Another thing that boggles my mind is that these engines would even consume oil at a rate fast enough to need topping off that frequently. I have never gone more than once season without changing the oil, but if from start to finish of each season I never consume any oil, I could theoretically go forever. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . without adding any.

If I remember correctly the industrial average is 13 hours per year on a push mower and 38 on a rider. The average replacement interval is around 4 years on both. That doesn't mean they are worn out in that time frame, it just means that customers tend to want to keep up with the neighbors.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will depend upon how long the growing season is and how much grass you mow.
Our growing season is 9 months long if we get reasonable rain.
For a 1/4 acre block that roughs out at 50 hrs/ year for a push mower
Down south the growing season is only 7 months & they use 30 hrs/year.
The snow country has a 5 month season.

Mkala

Threads
As said above, this is marketing...

For a power washer, you will use it 5h par season ? And you have a good chance to not winterize it and crack the pump in 5 years... so even without topping the oil the engine will outlast the machine :laughing:

To be more serious, if you want to take care of it change the oil after some x hours (others here know better than me interval times) or 2 years, depending of your usage. If you don't care that much just top the oil. (If you don't care at all you would not have asked here).

I like my equipment, I just change the oil today on my push mower. Probably 20h a year. Cost me 6$ to change the oil. It worth it doing it every year for a 1000$ mower in my opinion. Even if the deck will be shot before the engine, this mean a good running engine, no smoke, good power for 15years.