oil change on 6.0 HP tecumseh

Skyskier

Forum Newbie
Threads
so, .....I got an Ariens weed trimmer, with a Tecumseh 6.0 hp motor, it has the 2 large wheels with the trimmer head at the front, ....used it all last year, GREAT machine for 5+ acres, ....this year I changed oil in it, I couldn't find the drain plug so I got on you tube an "they" said to tip it on it's side,WITH THE CARBURETOR facing up an drain the oil out the fill tube ........never heard of this method, BUT, I'm old school so I figure this has GOT to be some yuppie engineers "new way" ?????...whatever, I mean I read it on the innerweb so it's GOT to be true, right ?......when I turned it on it's side , with the carburetor UP, the oil started to drain quickly an then slowed to a dribble.....flipped it back over & started again, same deal, comes out fast then slows to a dribble,.....after doing this for I dunno HOW many times, I finally got all the oil out, THEN, I couldn't get it to start, I pulled on that SOB for two day's, cleaned & dried the plug I don't know HOW many times,....,after 2 day's I got it to start...........NOW it seems to run alright BUT I do notice a real loss of power, it doesn't take much an it'll slow down an I gotta back up an go fwd etc., an this is just tall grass, I WAS cutting thru some pretty knarly stuff, thick stalks & what not, but that was BEFORE I changed the oil, an NOW when I shut it off it will belch white / blue smoke , ............I haven't really used it all that much as I don't know WHAT kinda damage I did to it OR, IF I got lucky an it's just gonna take awhile to get all the oil outta the cylinder head ? or maybe the rings have gone bad ?..............anybody care to take a guess ?......................
thanx in advance for any an all help,
Denny

Skyskier

Forum Newbie
Threads
so, .....I got an Ariens weed trimmer, with a Tecumseh 6.0 hp motor, it has the 2 large wheels with the trimmer head at the front, ....used it all last year, GREAT machine for 5+ acres, ....this year I changed oil in it, I couldn't find the drain plug so I got on you tube an "they" said to tip it on it's side,WITH THE CARBURETOR facing up an drain the oil out the fill tube ........never heard of this method, BUT, I'm old school so I figure this has GOT to be some yuppie engineers "new way" ?????...whatever, I mean I read it on the innerweb so it's GOT to be true, right ?......when I turned it on it's side , with the carburetor UP, the oil started to drain quickly an then slowed to a dribble.....flipped it back over & started again, same deal, comes out fast then slows to a dribble,.....after doing this for I dunno HOW many times, I finally got all the oil out, THEN, I couldn't get it to start, I pulled on that SOB for two day's, cleaned & dried the plug I don't know HOW many times,....,after 2 day's I got it to start...........NOW it seems to run alright BUT I do notice a real loss of power, it doesn't take much an it'll slow down an I gotta back up an go fwd etc., an this is just tall grass, I WAS cutting thru some pretty knarly stuff, thick stalks & what not, but that was BEFORE I changed the oil, an NOW when I shut it off it will belch white / blue smoke , ............I haven't really used it all that much as I don't know WHAT kinda damage I did to it OR, IF I got lucky an it's just gonna take awhile to get all the oil outta the cylinder head ? or maybe the rings have gone bad ?..............anybody care to take a guess ?......................
Denny

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to a boating shop & get an oil change pump for future oil changes.
Unfamiliar with you engine so I will leave the est to others .
Just one more thin please do not double post.
It confuses people and will not get any more or better answers.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder if you might have stirred up some dirt in the carb, clogged a hole or two in the fuel circuit? Smoke might be some oil hiding in the intake passages and the shut down pulls it out? I'd look some more for a drain plug.

Romore

Threads
There is no drain plug, you are doing it correctly. Check the air filter, it may be clogged with oil.

primerbulb120

Threads
I do all my oil changes that way on push mowers. Even the ones that have drain plugs. So much simpler than trying to get a plug loose that may never have been removed before...

Russ2251

Threads
I have a Tecumseh powered Lawn-Boy.
In the manual it states to dump oil out as you stated.
However, there is a drain plug and may be a little difficult to locate.
It may be a threaded plug that is slightly recessed in bottom of crankcase cover.
A socket extension fits perfectly into the plug.

Hognfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Denny
I have the same trimmer that I’m having to put in a governor shaft, gear and spool, and camshaft and here’s a pic of the drain plug on mine…
Denny
I have that same trimmer that I’m put I a camshaft and governor gear, shaft and spool. Here’s a pic of my drain plug. It’s on the opposite corner to the intake

Hognfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same trimmer that I’m having to put in a governor shaft, gear and spool, and camshaft and here’s a pic of the drain plug on mine…

I have that same trimmer that I’m put I a camshaft and governor gear, shaft and spool. Here’s a pic of my drain plug. It’s on the opposite corner to the intake
IMG_3760.jpeg