Any Differences in Axle Boots Between Early and Late RER's?

DPDISXR4Ti

Threads
  • / Any Differences in Axle Boots Between Early and Late RER's?
I need to replace the long axle boot on my Series 23 - I'll probably do them both while I've got things apart. I'm about to order the boots and I'm wondering if there is any difference in the boots from a Series 8 (for example) vs. Series 23. I believe the answer is "no", but one page I looked at seemed to suggest otherwise.

Any specific boots recommended? I see lots of sets on eBay for as little as $10 for the pair. I also see "factory" boots for a little more, although ironically enough, the factory ones are identical in length. Stretch to fit?

Appreciate any input.

DPDISXR4Ti

Threads
  • / Any Differences in Axle Boots Between Early and Late RER's?
Might as well answer this one myself, as I went ahead and ordered the boots and did the job today. It would seem that indeed Snapper has standardized on the same rubber boot for both sides, p/n 7075115YP. Since only the LH side boot needed replacement (right side as you look at it), I decided to just replace that one. Doing so makes it a much quicker job since the chain case doesn't need to be removed.

All went pretty well except I found I didn't have a hexagonal thrust washer in there. Well perhaps I did, but it worn so much it's just a regular looking washer. I also probably could use a spacer in there as I have some side play in the axle assembly. I didn't see those as critical, so I re-assembled and will get back in there another day to add those. In the mean time, I've got grass to cut!