Need Briggs I/C Quantum Carb Part Number

cruzenmike

Threads
My uncle has an old Montgomery Wards self-propelled 21" mower that the carb broke. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton I/C Quantum 5.0 hp single cylinder. I am looking for a replacement carb and cannot locate a number on the engine as of right now. My hope is that with the pictures that I have provided, someone would be able to tell me what part number I need for a complete carb replacement. Thank you in advance.

Mike

DSC_0021[1].jpgDSC_0019[1].jpgDSC_0020[1].jpgDSC_0018[1].jpg

primerbulb120

Threads
The choke shaft is broken? Just replace it. You don't need a whole new carb.

What did the top part of the choke shaft look like?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine model number should be stamped into that flap over the muffler, or stamped into the metal blower housing above the spark plug. May have to remove the fuel tank to see it if you can't look up below the fuel tank and see it.

cruzenmike

Threads
The choke shaft is broken? Just replace it. You don't need a whole new carb.

What did the top part of the choke shaft look like?

I am not sure. My uncle believes that there was a small black piece that stuck up with a spring on it that held the choke flap under tension. As for replacing or fixing, we just rather replace the whole carb since all of the rubber needs replacing too. I have included a couple of picture of what the mower looked like; it was a MTD rebrand. Since I cannot figure out what the engine model is, I was hoping that maybe someone had worked on one of these engines and might know what it is. I am not sure if you can see in my original images, but the carb is a Walbro and there is a 38M stamped on the carb.

90's Mower.jpgMTD Mower.jpg

cruzenmike

Threads
The engine model number should be stamped into that flap over the muffler, or stamped into the metal blower housing above the spark plug. May have to remove the fuel tank to see it if you can't look up below the fuel tank and see it.

I will not be able to get my hands on the mower for another week or so due to my uncle living about 50 miles away. My hope was to order parts and get them delivered prior to heading over next weekend. I think I may have found the part number of the carb, 4989865? It appears as if this is only available from China as an aftermarket and I am not even sure if there is a complete rebuild kit that would have a new choke shaft. I would also need the gasket from the carb to the engine as well which I am trying to find now.

A little history on the mower: I actually received the mower with my first home in 2009. I had my heart set on a Honda mower so I purchased my HRX and gave this to my uncle. I was not aware but he used the mower for about 7 years until the carb broke. He purchased a self-propelled Craftsman that he absolutely despises. Now I am trying to help him out in getting this running again. Today when I was at his house I could not get the mower un-buried to try and find the model number but I was able to pick up the carb off the bench.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Craftsman looks like a pretty decent machine. Do need that engine code to go anywhere with a carb selection. Probably a new carb is the way to go.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look for the model number stamped on the metal above the sparkplug, up under the plastic cover.

cruzenmike

Threads
Look for the model number stamped on the metal above the sparkplug, up under the plastic cover.

I am just going to have to wait to get back at it this weekend if time permits. Since the carb that I believe I need is not available state-side, I would rather get it right. If I need any help after I pull the model number off the mower or engine code I will post back later this week. Thank you.