Toro 21" esay pace self propelled mower drive pulley problem

trooper1954

Threads
  • / Toro 21" esay pace self propelled mower drive pulley problem
Hi Guys,
Fired up the above captioned mower for the first time this season yesterday. Decided to put on a de-thatching blade so removed the regular blade which seemed secure. When it came to installing the thatching blade I noticed the bolt would not tighten and was threading in a little off center. On further inspection , I could see something loose in the bottom of the drive pulley shaft that was moved around with a screwdriver. I'm assuming something in the shaft of the drive pulley has broken off somehow...I guess I should replace the drive pulley??
Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you have found a thatching blade that fits and is shaped like a Toro blade, DO NOT USE IT. Most Toro’s have a curved blade adapter and do not accept thatching blades. The drive pulley and blade adapter are all one piece and only once in my years of working on Toro have I seen one separate. Please post your number and seri numbers so I can see which unit you are talking about. It would not be the first time I’ve been wrong.

trooper1954

Threads
Thanks Rivets,
I did find a de-thatching blade that fit, and my problem on further investigation was that the spacer that sits in the bottom of the drive pulley assembly had moved, and so the bolt to secure the blade wasn't meeting it correctly. Once I set the spacer correctly in the bottom all is now well. Surprised really that this spacer isn't fixed to the drive pulley assembly instead of floating free.
Thanks for the advice.