Is this correct?

skip49

Threads
Went to my Hustler dealer yesterday to buy blades, filters, etc.
When I asked for transmission filters, as I was going to change the fluid and filters at about 65 hours, I was told by the dealer that unless I was having trouble, that Hustler recommended that I not change the transmission fluid and filters at all.
Can this be correct? Thanks for your advice.
Skip

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd want to hear it from the factory.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hustler recommends an initial hydro system service at 75 hours or 1 year (whichever occurs first) and thereafter every 200 hours or 2 years (whichever occurs first) for the Raptor SD.

There is general agreement that the initial service of hydro systems should always be performed. When it comes to service after that opinions vary. Personally I'm of the belief that servicing hydros after the initial service can do more harm than good due to the potential to introduce contaminants unless the hydro oil shows signs that it is spent (burnt smell).

In any case, servicing the hydros needs to be done with great care and with meticulous attention to cleanliness and not introducing dust/dirt/debris into the system. If it can't be done properly then it is probably best to just leave it be in my opinion.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the hydros didn't have a filter, I'd agree.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The filter gives a false sense of security. The filter does no good for contaminants that have to go through the precision-ground surfaces of the pump to get to the filter. By the time the filter removes them the damage is already done...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure that's the way it works? If so, there would be no reason to have a filter.

EricC

Threads
My Manual for the raptorSD I just sold said initial change for ZT2800's that are on there were to be done at 75 hours. I had 74 hours and changed it. and then we bought the property next door and I got a bigger mower so I just sold it.

now my "new" one was a demo with 43 hours. A ferris stander. Anyway, they told me at that dealership they wouldn't touch it ever unless there was a problem. They said in addition to being a power sports dealer, he also owned a company that built parts for hydro drives and the metals were so good and tolerances so tight that you're just asking for problems by cracking them open to change the oil.

Of course, everyone has their own opinion on the matter. When I did the initial change on my Hustler I was amazed at how "silver" the oil looked. I thought maybe there was moisture in there and milky from sitting over winter, but it was more silver than milky. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, it was the first hydro change I ever did. I will note, I do a drain and fill on our Honda minivan every time I change the oil, and the first time I did it with that, I was blown away at the amount of metal that was on that magnetic plug the first few times I did that too.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure that's the way it works? If so, there would be no reason to have a filter.
Yes I'm sure. That's why I tell people it's usually best to not mess with them. The tolerances between the mating surfaces are so tight that debris can't get through and just sits there abrading the surfaces until it cuts a slot big enough to get through.

DK35vince

Threads
I'm with this post then.
If the filters don't help, what's the point of the filter.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The filter is there to remove wear debris, not the crap that careless people get in the system thinking they're doing the right thing over servicing it. :smile: