Replaced Belt and Smoking!!!

bk10s

Threads
Hello All - Please help. Replaced the drive belt on my Simplicity 1693600 Broadmoor. 18 Briggs V-Twin. PTO is locking up and smoking! What happened? Do I need to replace? Many thanks -

Bill

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once a belt has smoked it is on borrowed time.
It is smoking because it is running against something that does not revolve with the belt.
Usual problem is running the belt on the outside of a belt keeper.
Some of them are very hard to see like the one at the back of the tranny.

Other problem is of course a pulley that is stuck.

bk10s

Threads
Once a belt has smoked it is on borrowed time.
It is smoking because it is running against something that does not revolve with the belt.
Usual problem is running the belt on the outside of a belt keeper.
Some of them are very hard to see like the one at the back of the tranny.

Other problem is of course a pulley that is stuck.

Belt is on properly. Electric clutch seems to be locking for some reason.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is always a problem trying to work out what is happening from just words on the screen
So is what you are trying to say the belt is not moving at all and smoke is coming from the clutch itself .
If that is the case, try turning the clutch on with the engine off.
No smoke = clutch not on the engine properly
Smoke = electrical problem & clutch is most likely toasted
Does the wires to the clutch get hot ?
What did you take off to replace the belt ?
Some clutches are polarity sensitive and you can reverse the wires.
Does it only smoke with the engine running regardless of weather the clutch is turned on or not?
What does the smoke smell like ? , Plastic ? lacquer ? grease ?

bk10s

Threads
It is always a problem trying to work out what is happening from just words on the screen
So is what you are trying to say the belt is not moving at all and smoke is coming from the clutch itself .
If that is the case, try turning the clutch on with the engine off.
No smoke = clutch not on the engine properly
Smoke = electrical problem & clutch is most likely toasted
Does the wires to the clutch get hot ?
What did you take off to replace the belt ?
Some clutches are polarity sensitive and you can reverse the wires.
Does it only smoke with the engine running regardless of weather the clutch is turned on or not?
What does the smoke smell like ? , Plastic ? lacquer ? grease ?

Thanks for working with me. I removed the electric clutch to replace the drive belt. Now, when I run the tractor without the deck on, the drive belt works fine. After about 2 minutes, with the PTO switch OFF, the electric clutch begins to heat up and gets smoking hot. Upon inspection, the bottom pulley (deck) does not spin freely. After adjustment, I start the engine again and same thing - After about 2 minutes, deck pulley begins turning and unit begins to heat up - PTO switch still off. I did not disconnect the power supply to the clutch when I removed it. Help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since about 2000 the clutch has incorperated a brake into the deck pulley so the blades stop spinning the instant you turn them off ( in theory ).
So if all you did was to pull the PTO clutch off the shaft, slip the new belt in then replace it the only thing that can have gone wrong is the spacer is missing or you have not got the key way properly lined up crushing the bearing.
Some clutches have a short key made into them while others have a full removable key that can fall out.

bk10s

Threads
Since about 2000 the clutch has incorperated a brake into the deck pulley so the blades stop spinning the instant you turn them off ( in theory ).
So if all you did was to pull the PTO clutch off the shaft, slip the new belt in then replace it the only thing that can have gone wrong is the spacer is missing or you have not got the key way properly lined up crushing the bearing.
Some clutches have a short key made into them while others have a full removable key that can fall out.

I remember the key way and I believe it is lined up - I will take apart and check. Funny thing is that upon starting the engine the deck pulley is not turning. It does start turning after about a minute or so. That is when the clutch starts heating up. Are you talking about the spacer/washer that is between the clutch and the drive pulley?

bk10s

Threads

I disconnected the clutch and was able to operate the tractor for about an hour, pulling an aerator. At that point the clutch started to heat up and start smoking.