Craftsman LT1000 Electrical Issue. Help Needed Please.

Dagrin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 Electrical Issue. Help Needed Please.
I have a 2003-ish Craftsman LT1000 with the 20 HP V-Twin engine (I believe the model number is: #917272911). I have an electrical problem that has me stumped and I could use some assistance. The motor starts as usual (Brake depressed, Blades disengaged, rear end firmly in the seat). Last season and continuing until now. The motor will not stay running when either of the following is done: Release the clutch/brake pedal or engage the blades (lever). I have replaced all three of the safety switches (seat, blade engage, and brake clutch. It seems like the kill circuit is activated whenever either of those two actions occurs. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I have tried what I think are the logical steps for the repair and have gotten nowhere. If anyone can walk me through the steps to check for, I would be most appreciative.

I have verified that none of the wiring has been chewed on or frayed as well as making sure that the connections on the starter solenoid are tight and free from corrosion.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a 2003-ish Craftsman LT1000 with the 20 HP V-Twin engine (I believe the model number is: #917272911). I have an electrical problem that has me stumped and I could use some assistance. The motor starts as usual (Brake depressed, Blades disengaged, rear end firmly in the seat). Last season and continuing until now. The motor will not stay running when either of the following is done: Release the clutch/brake pedal or engage the blades (lever). I have replaced all three of the safety switches (seat, blade engage, and brake clutch. It seems like the kill circuit is activated whenever either of those two actions occurs. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I have tried what I think are the logical steps for the repair and have gotten nowhere. If anyone can walk me through the steps to check for, I would be most appreciative.

I have verified that none of the wiring has been chewed on or frayed as well as making sure that the connections on the starter solenoid are tight and free from corrosion.

There are 2 separate safety circuits
Seat + PTO + magneto
Seat + brake + magneto
They are both ground circuits because the magneto is grounded to turn it off.

The common item in both is the seat switch so that will be where you problem lies
In the switch or the wires that go to it.
The switch is a simple make & break item however they come in 2 forms.
open when plunger depressed or closed when plunger depressed
Externally they are identical
So try the mower with the seat switch disconnected and with the seat switch plug jumpered.
If the problem persists then the wires are pinched or shorting some place.
Being a ground circuit they are hard to find.

I use a test light with the clip on the battery + terminal but before I start work I disconnect the engine to mower plug because if I accidently connect +12V to the magneto wire for the briefest of time you will blow the control chip inside the coil $$$$$

Dagrin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use a test light with the clip on the battery + terminal but before I start work I disconnect the engine to mower plug because if I accidently connect +12V to the magneto wire for the briefest of time you will blow the control chip inside the coil $$$$$

Thank you for the reply, when you say "coil", are you referring to the ignition coil? When previously troubleshooting the to see if it was the seat switch i had shunted the wiring, which I thought was simply bypassing the switch...Is it possible that I have damaged the coil by doing this? The motor does start, it only dies when either engaging the blades or releasing the brake/clutch pedal.

Last edited: