Kohler Courage 19 HP 590 Will not turn over

Brockboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Several issues here. Troy Bilt Mower sat for five years. Took plug out and cleaned. Pulled carb which was filthy and cleaned. Primed it up, and is started and ran like new. Stopped and started it about ten times over a 3 hour period.
Next day, had trouble turning it over and upon starting, it was backfiring hard through the carb. Thought maybe had something break loose and stopping up something.
Put a new carb and fuel shut off seloind on it.
Now it will not even turn over other than just a rotation at a time but will not pick up fast enough to start.
I checked compression on it and it held at 120 pounds for eight hours. Has a new battery. Getting 12.5 volts at battery and selanoid. Cleaned all contacts, magnets on flywheel, etc...
Hooked a charger directly to starter to jump it. Same thing. Will rotate but only one stroke at a time, and not enough to spin the flywheel. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of those older single courage engines has issues with getting water in the starter and corroding things, could be something to look at.

tmyers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you verified that the compression relief is working? The Exhaust valve is supposed to be held open juat a bit till the engine starts to run then close. An out of adjustment exhaust valve can affect it's operation.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
yes more than likely the valves out of adjustment.
This is a Courage 19, correct?
If you take the valve cover off to adjust them, watch this video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwD72Zvbxo8) These valve covers are VERY prone to oil leaks.
and i have seen the problem illengine described too. take the spark plug out and spin it over, see if it spins quicker

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes more than likely the valves out of adjustment.
This is a Courage 19, correct?
If you take the valve cover off to adjust them, watch this video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwD72Zvbxo8) These valve covers are VERY prone to oil leaks.
and i have seen the problem illengine described too. take the spark plug out and spin it over, see if it spins quicker

I'm having to limit my Taryl video's. Otherwise, I'll watch for hours. he he he hehe