Engine Engine won't start when cold unless I move this lever forward

gdwindowpane

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine won't start when cold unless I move this lever forward
New member. Tried searching forum for an answer but couldn't find anything.

It's a balancing act to get it to catch. Once the engine starts it runs strong and will restart without moving the lever. It can take many pulls to get it to start when cold. Mower is out of the 2 pull start warranty. Approximately 5 years old.

Is there some adjustments I can make to what I'm assuming is the auto choke?

Capture.JPG

Any help would be great appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Chris

gdwindowpane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been through the Troubleshooting section. Nothing applies to my situation. The engine doesn't fail to start, it's just very difficult to get it to start. I have to move that lever forward a bit to a "sweet spot" where the engine will catch and run fine and restart all day as long as it is still warm. I have found that if it is really hot out and I leave the mower outside for a few minutes before starting it "cold" that it starts much easier. So I assume that the lever thing is some sort of auto-choke that adjusts itself with temperature.

I don't have a service manual for the engine. Can't find one for purchase anywhere online. Not sure how the valves would be related, perhaps you're recommending adjusting them for a different known problem with these engines.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your photo loads 2"x2" so whatever you are moving we have less than no idea
If you are talking about a wire loop that is pushed forward by a lever when you move the throttle to the start position then that is the choke.
It should go to the rear of the carb.
If this is the case undo the throttle cable clamp and move the cable back till it pushes the choke all the way forward with the throttle lever full on.
Clamp it there.

gdwindowpane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies!

I have an operators manual for the engine but not a service manual.

I have 2 Cub Cadet pieces of equipment with the 159 cc ohv vertical shaft engine. 1 has a manual choke like you described above. The other 1, the mower, has an automatic choke. I have attached a better picture. I might see how hard it is to convert the auto choke to a manual choke. Would probably solve my problem.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Chris

Capture.JPG

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Your photo loads 2"x2" so whatever you are moving we have less than no idea
If you are talking about a wire loop that is pushed forward by a lever when you move the throttle to the start position then that is the choke.
It should go to the rear of the carb.
If this is the case undo the throttle cable clamp and move the cable back till it pushes the choke all the way forward with the throttle lever full on.
Clamp it there.
Kinda late reply , but it looks like it's the governor shaft arm he is talking about