GCV 160 on my mower is behaving badly. Please help my my Easter better!

torooilleaker

Threads
  • / GCV 160 on my mower is behaving badly. Please help my my Easter better!
The Engine is on my husqvarna mower. Below is the problem I am having with it.

1. When I pull on the chord to start the mower, it does not start.
2. IF I spray some starter fluid into the carb and pull the chord, it will start strong and will run as long as am willing to keep it ON.
3. I cleaned the carburetor and it didn't change anything.
4. I bought a new carburetor from EBAY and installed it and it does not start still. It still behaves likes 1 and 2 above.

5. Can you please give me an idea of what is going on?
6. Let me know if you have questions.

THank You!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

torooilleaker

Threads
Thank you very very much! Very good suggestion. I am going to try all those things in the morning. Where is the fuel filter located?

trekgod3

Threads
https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/show...t-starting-fluid-quot-cold-quot-but-runs-fine
From the thread linked above (not mine):

Re: HR215sxa Won't start without starting fluid "cold" but runs fine
Thanks guys. So I checked that the choke was closing all the way with the throttle in the full choke position. It was not (1/8" short of closed). The throttle cable where it connects to the motor cannot pull any further on the assembly. I manually held the choke closed and attempted to start the engine. Started on the first pull. So the choke not closing far enough at start was definitely the issue. After thinking about different ways to get the choke to fully close I ended up bending the metal arm about 1/8" towards the carb where it contacts the throttle arm. The choke now closes all the way and starts on first pull. There may be a better way to fix it but this worked. I attached a picture of the assembly. I don't have a photo editor handy to point to what I bent. I will repost the pic to help others who may face the same problem in the future soon.

Thanks again
Newt
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails

torooilleaker

Threads
replace fuel filter, fresh gas, check air filter, check for spark & replace plug if looks bad, check for compression with thumb over spark plug hole while pulling cord.

fuel filter is located in gas line at bottom of gas tank.

https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hpe/505ce407f870022d24bdbcbc/fuel-tank

So, I just drained the fuel in the tank and looked at the fuel line and there is no fuel filter in the line. I also looked into the tank itself to see if there is a filter in the tank and I don't see any. Air filter is very clean. Spark is good. Keep in mind that this machine starts with with starter fluid. That alone shows the spark plug is producing sparks. At this time the only thing I have not done is pour fresh gas into the now empty tank and try to start it again. I am completely open to any other suggestions.

Thanks everyone.

Happy Easter!!!