Simplicity 16GTH PTO Switch - Need Replacement

rusigx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Simplicity 16GTH with the old style flip up and lock PTO switch on the dashboard. If you look at the link below the diagram shows the old style PTO switch and it says the new push/pull switch replaces it.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/sim...tor-16hp-hydro/electrical-group-main-harness/

The issue is that the new switches are 8 prong divided into 3 rows (all prongs are straight). My switch is a 5 prong, with 3 of the prongs canted at a 45 degree angle on the ends. You can actually see the wiring harness in the link above and the slated prongs in the harness. It doesnt look like the new switch in the link above would even begin to hook up to the wiring harness. I have searched high and low for one of the older switches and I havent been able to find one.

Looking for some advice on how to replace the old switch when the replacement in the diagram doesnt have the same number of prongs or order of prongs. Thanks!

rusigx

Forum Newbie
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If worse comes to worse you can pull the terminals out of the plug then push them onto the new switch and put a big blob of silicone on there to hold them all in place.
Any time you are working on the safety circuits it is important to dissconnect the engine plug or magneto kill wire and check that at no time do you have voltage on the kill wire.
The pto is a simple sliding switch and nearly all of the wires are ground wires , including the PTO itself on most mowers.
Usually the only power wire is the temporary connection for the canking circuit and they are usually the two terminals closest to the knob
Do as suggested, get the manual check the wiring diagram.
If you go to a mower wrecker you should be able to get a 3 row plug.
The terminal are held into the plug with a single barb and are easy to remove & replace.

rusigx

Forum Newbie
Threads
post your 7 digit tractor model number please

Model number is 1692024, does that help?

Yes, I was thinking worst case scenario i could use the new style push/pull pto switch and make wired jumpers from the switch to the wiring harness, is that possible?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The terminals will pull out of the old plug and will push onto the spades of a replacement switch, with or without a plug
I make a tool from an unused feeler gauge anything over ,020".
grind it down so it is about 1/8" wide and use that to depress the tang on the back of the terminals then they pull strait out.

rusigx

Forum Newbie
Threads
The terminals will pull out of the old plug and will push onto the spades of a replacement switch, with or without a plug
I make a tool from an unused feeler gauge anything over ,020".
grind it down so it is about 1/8" wide and use that to depress the tang on the back of the terminals then they pull strait out.

Good idea! The factory plug has 8 wires going to 4 terminals in the plug. 1 wire on one terminal, 2 wires on two terminals, and 3 wires on the fourth terminal. Any idea how I would connect the existing terminals in the wiring harness to one of the newer 8 terminal push / pull pto switches?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easiest thing to do would be to pull the old switch apart to see which was connected to what.

The terminals that are connected when the switch is off is the cranking circuit
The next pair will be both the actual PTO switch and activate the seat switch so if you butt comes off it the engine stops.

If you have not bought the new switch, I would be inclined to pull the old one apart first.
They are not meant to be repaired but some times a good clean will bring them back to life, or a dab of solder to a burned out contact.
There is about a dozen different switches , wiring wise.
SO it will be a matter of finding the one that best mimocks your switch.
Usually the middle row on a 3 row switch ( edgewise ) are all connected together.
But when all is said & done they are still a simple sliding contact switch.

rusigx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys for all of the advice. I sprayed the switch down real good with electrical cleaner. If it continues to act up I’ll pull the switch apart to see if it can be repaired, if not I’ll order a new style switch and hopefully I’ll be able to wire it up correctly, shouldn’t be that complicated.