push mower 11A18MC010 (18M) Pull cord jerks back

kh0432

Threads
Mower runs fine once started but when pulling the cord it's sometimes hard and will jerk back. Checked flywheel key and it's good. Read that maybe the valves need adjusting. Can't find any info on how to do that. Thanks for any help. Keith

Romore

Threads
Check the blade, it may be loose or the hub may be sheared.

kh0432

Threads
Engine is a made in China 1P70M0. Flywheel key is good and blade and hub are tight. If I pull the cord real slow, I can feel a point where it seems to turn easier and get it started. It runs great and has plenty of power but it's just a bear to start. Does this motor use a compression release? The parts breakdown shows a little spring with the camshaft but doesn't list a description or show that it's available. The tag on the motor has the specs for the valve clearance so I'll try that next. I would think that if the valves were too far out of adjustment I would get some popping through the carburetor or exhaust but I don't and it runs fine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you remove the flywheel key when you checked it? The timing on these engines is a extremely tight. A slight tear, but no shear can still result in a kickback.

kh0432

Threads
Pulled thee flywheel completely off and key was fine.

kh0432

Threads
Here's the rest of the story. This mower was given to me for free with a broken pull cord. I replaced only the cord and found it was always hard to pull. Sold the mower yesterday and today the buyer called and said the recoil starter fell apart. I told him he could return it or I would by the part for him to fix it himself. He agreed to just take the part. When I looked up the parts breakdown (e-replacement parts) for this engine it only showed the pulley and spring available and stated that it was an improved part to replace the OEM defective ones. I looked it up on the Cub Cadet website and found the new part # for the complete recoil starter and Stens makes a replacement. Could it be that the recoil starter was my problem all along?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
no.
There is a compression release on the cam like all small pull start engines.
The valve lash was most likely so big it was defeating the decompression.
This puts a lot of strain on the pull starter causing it to fail prematurely.
I see this 200 times a year in both walk behinds and ride ons.
Buy far the most common lack of maintenance caused problem.
If the user has been using premium fuel it gets even worse as premium tends to wear the valve/ valve seat a lot faster than standard fuel.

kh0432

Threads
Already checked the valve clearance and it was fine. Is it possible for the compression release arm or spring to fall off?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not seen a Lonsin cam go bad to date but always a possibility
Had several where the governor fell apart so it wont hurt to pull the sump off & have a look.
Either drain all of the oil before you start or roll the engine over backwards to prevent the oil ending up in the carb or muffler.
The PTO shaft can not be clean enough before you start, a tiny amount of corrosion will cause the sump to bind & damage the lower bush section of the sump.
Buy the full gasket kit because you will have to replace both the sump gasket & the PTO oil seal