406577-0139 Possible Blown Head Gasket

The_Boulevard

Forum Newbie
Threads
In 2013 I threw a rod in my Deere L111 (2007). I replaced the rod, and replaced sump gasket, etc. There was also tons of debris clogged inside the heat shield. This thing must have been overheating like crazy...

All was fine from 2013 till beginning of 2018 (at least I assume so... could have been leaking slightly for years... I didn't pay attention, my bad.. It just got bad enough to notice in early 2018)

Last year, my deere started leaking oil quite badly. There was oil leaking from a Sump bolt. I replaced the sump gasket, and sure enough it was blown around that bolt...

The engine is still leaking oil, quite badly, and it's seemingly coming from behind a heat shield around the head on the the drain side of the engine. I'm assuming that it's the head gasket... Directly above where the sump gasket had blown around a bolt...

Questions I have... I cannot find the manual to describe how to replace the gasket, can someone help me with that? I tried on Briggs website... Am I looking in the wrong place?...

Second question is whether I need to check if the head is warped? How do I do that?

I hear this could be a fairly -- er... not too involved fix? Something I could do in a couple hours? I just need an outline with the steps and torques... :)

Any help you all could provide, would be AMAZING!

Briggs 406577-0139 Twin 20HP engine

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
I have not heard of this engine leaking oil from the head gasket to the outside. Blown head gaskets on these typically leak to the inside. It is quit common for them to leak from the sump gasket and often from below the right hand cylinder when facing the cylinder side of engine. They have a very expensive gasket and stronger bolts which usually cures this along with much increased torque specs. Valve covers also leak sometimes.

Walt Conner

The_Boulevard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not heard of this engine leaking oil from the head gasket to the outside. Blown head gaskets on these typically leak to the inside. It is quit common for them to leak from the sump gasket and often from below the right hand cylinder when facing the cylinder side of engine. They have a very expensive gasket and stronger bolts which usually cures this along with much increased torque specs. Valve covers also leak sometimes.

Walt Conner

Thanks... I took the top apart and started examining it further. It was, in fact, the Valve Covers leaking oil, it was following a course, and dripping down near where the head meets the engine block, but it was, in fact, the valve cover gaskets. I just happened to have two on hand, so I got it all completed, in no time at all. SIMPLE!

Thanks for encouraging me to take a closer look at the valve covers...

Peace,