YTH2148 Won’t Start

DianeDog

Threads
This will be a little lengthy, but here goes. We have a Husqvarna YTH2148 that suddenly started smoking and would start but run very roughly. The last time it moved under its own power it would move very slowly and die when you engaged the blades. I have replaced the starter, solenoid, plugs, in-line fuse from the switch, filters, and battery. It will not start now even if the battery is bypassed and started by sparking the starter. It sounds like it’s going to start, but just won’t. I tried squirting some gas into the carburetor, but it backfires and still won’t start. The ignition switch checks out fine with a voltage meter. I thought last year it might be a coil since I disconnected each plug and it started with one cylinder, but not the other. Now even that doesn’t work. This is all new stuff to me. Can one of you experts help me? BTW, I have no way to get it to a shop and can’t afford one anyway. I’m at a complete loss as what else to try.

Mikel1

Threads
You said smoking what color? Backfiring thru exhaust or intake?

DianeDog

Threads
You said smoking what color? Backfiring thru exhaust or intake?

Well, back when it did something the smoke was black. Now it does nothing, it has a new battery, solenoid, plugs, and starter. I cleaned the coils, the swichech checks out ok, but now it doesn’t even click. Could it be the kill switch?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the dip stick.
Can almost guarrantee that the oil level will be very high and smell like petrol.

Remove both spark plugs and turn over the engine by hand ( do not try & crank it ) several times.
Check for fuel being expelled from the plug holes, if they are clean then you can try cranking the engine remember to move the spark plugs out of the way ( fire risk ).

If you get nothing at all from the engine, check the fuse.

The seat switch is not in the cranking circuit
the cranking circuit has the PTO & Brake switches in it.

Hopefully every one who responds will keep it simple so you can work your way through the process without getting confused.