Poulan Pro Weed Eater dies on throttle

mitch611

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Poulan Pro trimmer that will start according to instructions: pump bulb 6 times, place in full choke, pull to start. Wait a few minutes and then throttle. It dies every time I hit the throttle. Can't pump throttle to keep running, it just dies. Have not tried pumping bulb while throttling. Any ideas?

primerbulb120

Threads
Sounds like it's due for a carburetor rebuild (or new carburetor), plus fuel lines and fuel filter. What model is your Poulan? (I can also tell from looking at a picture of it, so just post a picture if you don't know. )

weathda

Threads
I have a cub cadet 3000 which is now about 16 years old. Couple of years ago, it did the exact thing you describe. Started good, ran good at idle, but the minute I applied throttle it died. The trimmer head was worn out and I'd replaced fuel lines a couple of years before. I didn't want to pour anymore money into it, so I figured I'd take the carb off, clean it real good and stick it back on. IF it worked - great, if not, I'd buy another trimmer.

Cleaned the carb and low and behold it worked - ran at full throttle. I had to adjust the idle up on it to keep it running, but it ran great all last year and started up great this year. I even sprang for a new reel head and bump knob for it. Cut for an hour with it just last week.

Use Seafoam gas treatment in your small engines. It works wonders.

mitch611

Forum Newbie
Threads
20190418_153137.jpg

As long as I leave full choke on and don't touch the throttle, it runs at full speed but if I bump the throttle or choke, it immediately dies.

Last edited: