Engine threw rod but has oil?

Mudrig150

Threads
I found an engine for my Deere project. It's a K321 wide block with a thrown rod. The guy has not torn into it. He says it has oil and it also looks newish. What other things could mimic a broken rod? Maybe the connecting rod cap came off or something?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
an engine can still throw a rod with oil in it, if it was rebuilt at one point and the rod cap wasnt torqued to spec, it could come lose. or the oil flow got restricted.
If the rod cap came off, you are more than likely going to have damage on your crank's rod journal and big end, obviously.
I'm not too familiar with this engine, is it a single cylinder?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fairly common in engines with aluminum rods these days. The metal can stand just so much of the heat cycles and stress. Could be an easy rebuild, or junk. Have to look inside to find out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The K321 is a horizontal cast iron block engine with dipper type splash lube. If the oil is slightly low and operated on enough angle, but would be considered within the normal operating angle of the engine, can cause the dipper to be out of the oil in the sump causing lack of lube failure even if the oil was between the add and full marks. Like having the oil at the add mark and then try to mower along a ditch which if the engine was full would never be a problem.