Repairs First Time Lawnmower Issues

kiddagoat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. This is my first post here and I am looking for some advice.

I have owned my mower for about 2 years now and realized I needed to do some maintenance on it. I changed the oil, changed the blade, cleaned the spark plug, and replaced the filter. The mower started and ran fine until about 90% through the first cut of the year.

I am thinking I hit something possibly or maybe the blade wasn't right. Near the end of the cut, going up a moderate hill in my backyard, I noticed the mower started to vibrate quite a bit more than it has in the past two years I have owned it. I finished cutting the yard and then after letting the mower sit and cool, I went to check on the blade to make sure I didn't install it wrong.

I am attaching pictures of my mower and the blade. It looks like the star blade adapter sheared clean off and there is slight gouge in one of the points of the star blade keyhole.

I am pretty confident I can replace the blade adapter myself. My question is, is there a specific blade adapter I need and should I change the blade again?

What can I do to prevent this in the future? 20190417_192759.jpg20190417_192804.jpg20190417_192818.jpg20190417_192849.jpg

cruzenmike

Threads
Hello all. This is my first post here and I am looking for some advice.

I have owned my mower for about 2 years now and realized I needed to do some maintenance on it. I changed the oil, changed the blade, cleaned the spark plug, and replaced the filter. The mower started and ran fine until about 90% through the first cut of the year.

I am thinking I hit something possibly or maybe the blade wasn't right. Near the end of the cut, going up a moderate hill in my backyard, I noticed the mower started to vibrate quite a bit more than it has in the past two years I have owned it. I finished cutting the yard and then after letting the mower sit and cool, I went to check on the blade to make sure I didn't install it wrong.

I am attaching pictures of my mower and the blade. It looks like the star blade adapter sheared clean off and there is slight gouge in one of the points of the star blade keyhole.

I am pretty confident I can replace the blade adapter myself. My question is, is there a specific blade adapter I need and should I change the blade again?

What can I do to prevent this in the future? View attachment 43639View attachment 43640View attachment 43641View attachment 43642

Partstree.com does not have the part but you can get it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-581650901-Equipment-Manufacturer-Craftsman/dp/B00DFJUCEC

The specific part number is 581650901

This is held stationary by the belt that is around the pulley and under tension. After the belt is removed, hopefully you can slide it off of the engine shaft. After replaced, it should be bolted up snug with the blade bolt. You do not necessary need to replace the blade so long as it isn't cracked or bent. So longs as the blade checks out visually and is still balanced you should be fine. You would be luck if nothing else was bend or broken underneath.

kiddagoat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much for the response and part number.

Secondary question,

I noticed there is that plastic guard underneath the mower that protects the undercarriage area and that needs to come off to access the belts and remove the blade adapter. Is that just clipped on? I didn't see any screws or bolts. I have tried looking on YouTube for some videos and they have the guard removed already.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks to me like you didn't have the blade seated property on the adapter.

primerbulb120

Threads
Those blade adaptors are notorious for breaking. Seating the blade improperly/not tightening it enough will cause them to break, and sometimes they just break for no reason.