Belt breaking

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,I have a John Deere e170 I purchased last year and seem to be having issues with the belts,I get about 26hrs on a belt and it breaks,all pulleys seem to be turning freely so I don’t think it’s that,are the belts made that cheap now?lhad a husqvarna I’d used about 15years and only broke 1 belt in all that time,but now I got a mower with 54 hrs on it and I’m on my 2nd belt what gives

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blade belt? Not sure on your machine but my L130 has an electric blade clutch that engages brutal hard with the engine up to speed, darn near pulls the deck off seems like. I always throttle the motor way down to engage. My mower doesn't dis-engage the deck for reverse or off seat, just kills the engine. Belt might be original on mine, can't remember, been a long time if it's been replaced.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things come to mind when I hear about JD mowers breaking belts. One, non OEM belts will not last on John Deere equipment. Your must pay the price and use their belts. Two, all pulleys must be in good shape, especially the pulley bearings and in alignment. The idler pulley bearings many times look and feel good, but you can’t test them under high speeds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belt broke is as about as much us as saying "I feel sick" to a doctor
We need to see the belt.
It will have a wear pattern on it that will tell you why it broke
Just about every belt maker & mower company puts out a belt failure chart and most are available on line
Husqvarna & Toro are really good
Lots of things an wreck a new belt in no time flat from silly things like a piece of debris stuck in one of the pulley grooves to quite hard to find things like a crack in one of the spindle housing tabs allowing the housing to tilt under load.

And modern belts are better than old belts, the kevlar fibre has improved as has the placement of the fibres in the belts.
However heed the warning about non OEM belts
JD use both standard & L profile belts but a lot of cross refference charts ignore the profile shape & just refference them by width & length.
It took me the better part of 3 years to get my head around proper belts and work out which wholeslers were really selling OEM belts and which were just working out which Std A or B belts had the same effective length.

Forum Newbie
Threads
This has happened when I engage the blades so i think its from the shock of turning them on,it does have quite a jar when engaging not to sure what’s can be done about that

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A cracked spindle housing will break the belt when turning on the blades
As will a siezed spindle bearing, adjusting the belt too tight.
If it was normal the there would be a lot of JD's on Craigs list very very cheap.